How to load old Nikor reel?

colin jackson

I just picked up an old Nikor single reel SS tank from eBay but can't figure out how to clip

the film end in to load. I have a no name double reel SS tank and 4 reel Kindermann SS

with clips of their own style but the Nikor has no apparent way to fix the end. There is a

wire wrapped around the 4 posts in the middle leaving one open area but no clip as such.

I find that it is possible to load without clipping but very tricky.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Just shove the end of the film in that three-sided cage and start rolling. I learned how to roll onto SS reels of that type.

I think that the clips are just a nuisance on 35mm film. You have to fiddle so that the clip doesn't hold the film off-center.

The Hewes reels also don't have a clip, but there are two prongs that catch on the sprocket holes, which are very effective.

Now, on 127, 120, 116, and 122 sizes, you do need the clip, because the film is so limp. But most of my time with them is spent getting the film properly centered between the sides. Especially with 122 film.

I use the clips only on my medium format Nikor and other reels. Medium format film tends to flop around a bit so the clips help. At least one of my 35mm reels doesn't even have clips. You just stick the leader end into the center "cage". There's a metal stop that helps keep the leader in the cage during the first couple of turns.