Photo.net Now Accepts Credit Cards / Subscription Drive

mottershead

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing some duplicates where it looks some people paid twice. If these are mistakes, which I think they probably are, please let me know. I'd like to know how they happened, so we can avoid them in the future. The ones I've spotted are from: Joanne Doyle, Joseph Lopez, and Heather Flaherty.

Dear Brian,

1) I have always shied away from paying phnet because of the "only paypal" connection.

2) I have always shied away from paying phnet because of the mandatory icons, extra workspace and other "priviliges". I hate rank and title and prefer to use none.

Now that my first objection has fallen, how about the second one?

Sorry to be so difficult.

SL, I don't know how to resolve that. It would be better if we didn't have to have subscription drives and people just subscribed.

But it is obvious that many people need some impetus or encouragement to subscribe. We don't have the drives very often. Both of the previous ones were actually initiated by photo.net members, and the photo.net admin just went with the flow. This is the first one that we have actually initiated. But when there is a drive, the subscription rate goes from single digits per day, to dozens per day. It would make sense to have more drives except for two factors: if we had them all the time, people would wait to subscribe until the next drive, and we would always be making folks like you unhappy that they didn't get in on the drive.

So we don't plan on having many drives, or regular drives, and we plan on just springing them on the user base. But when we do have a drive, it has to start at some point and end at some point. There is always going to be someone who subscribed just before the drive started who is going to be unhappy, and someone who was just a bit too late, and who will also be unhappy.

If it is any consolation, we don't plan on having another drive again for a long time, and while we will most likely get a couple of hundred people to sign up during this drive, you haven't paid any more than the few thousand other subscribers.

Brian,

I am so pissed. This is still not working for me. How can I be the only one in the world that can't access this service?

Every time I click on the link you provide, it takes me to that same screen with the two boxes for PayPal or credit card, but when I click on the link for credit card for one-year, it just takes me right back to the same screen. It never goes anywhere but that screen, along with the warnings about it not being secure popping up like before. Why am I alone not able to do this? I log-in and pay by credit card on dozens of sites. I am enabled for cookies, and when I go to Photo.net, I am already logged in, so my computer is recognized at your site.

I want to pay, I just can't. ;-(

I disagree with the 3 posting scenario described above. Photogs need to see that there is value here and hence the reason for being a paid subscriber of the community. Had I only been allowed 3 postings I might have moved on to my other sources of info. because there would not have been enough exchange for me to see the value.

BTW I like paypal even though they've taken some big bites out of my sales. I use them as a firewall.

Brian, Thanks so much for picking up a double payment from me. It was, indeed, in error. Somehow when I pressed submit, I think I hit back arrow (intending to return to gallery) but which instead brought me back to the "submit payment" page again leading me to (too hastily) believe the "submit" did't go through. It was my error...not any system problem. But I really appreciate your catching it. And also, appreciate all your hard work and dedication to this site. Regards, Joanne