well i have a bit of a problem (this is the 2nd time i've used a

roll of film). i was using some kodak film in my camera and when i

went to rewind it i guess i did it the wrong way, so now the whole

roll of film is exposed and out of the yellow thing. i'm not sure

how i can get it back in. it's still sitting on the camera. i went

to a really dark closet in my house to check it out so hopefully it

didn't get ruined. is there a way i can still get them

developed/back into the yellow thing?

It would be helpful if you could be a little more explicit...like what size film are you talking about, what camera is it in, etc. You could just take the whole thing to a camera shop & let them do it for you, and then guide you in how to properly use the camera, if you are missing your instructions.

The yellow thing? Are you talking about the film cassette? How did you manage to rewind the film the "wrong way"? I wouldn't recommend forcing the film back into the cassette, since you may end up scratching the emulsion. You really have two choices if you want to save your film:

1. You can go to a photo shop and buy a reusable cassette and roll the film into it. Ask the guy at the counter to show you how it works. Of course, you'll have to do it in total (and I mean TOTAL) darkness if you want your film to survive.

2. Take the camera to a pro lab and tell them you have film stuck in the uptake sprocket and have them unload the film and develop it. I'm thinking this would be the preferable way to do it given that you have absolutely no practical experience in these matters.

Good luck.

Happened to a friend when her camera ripped the Kodachrome out of the yellow thing. We were in the middle of a climbing trip so I put the film into the original canister and sealed it well to stop it popping open. When I posted it off I told the lab the situation and apart from a couple of scratches it was fine.