Should I buy this Rolleiflex?

I was in an antique store yesterday, and the owner (Who knows cameras)

has a beautiful Rolleiflex. It has a 3.5 Tessar, and the Syncro

Compur Shutter. 75mm lens. He said I could have it for $170. It

looks like new, has the case and original owners manual. I am

tempted, the wife is not. Seems like a good deal though.

Keith

Is it working perfectly?

If your wife isn't keen on $170, she'll be even less keen on an additional $200-$250 for an overhaul if the shutter speeds are off or need cleaning, if the spacing mechanism needs adjusting, if the focus mechanism needs allignment, if the shutter cocking mechanism is not working and needs adjustment, etc., etc.

I've bought Rolleiflexes that at one time or another had those problems that needed adjustment before it could be used. Rolleis are pretty simple machines, but there are things that can go amiss, and they are not always evident in just looking at one. I'd see if the shop owner would let you run a roll of 120 through it in the store and have it processed and check the resulting images first. Heck, I've even had one wind a whole roll of film through without even setting off the counter because the feeler roller was not set right.

It seems it would be easy enough to get the serial number and look up which model it is. I just bought a Tessar-lensed Rolleiflex (a 622 Standard) off eBay a few months ago for just over $100. Works great and I like the uncoated Tessar look. (Complements my Planar Rolleiflex nicely.) Do you know if its T, an Automat, or an earlier Standard? Guess my point is $170 might or might not be such a great price.

Sorry, Rob, but the bathroom one won't fly. My cameras have, in fact, conspired to take over my bathroom -- so far, only on a part-time basis, but that's where I develop and print; a couple hours at a time to develop 2-3 tanks of film, and easily four hours at a whack for printing sessions. I can get away with this, even to the extent I do, only because there's a second bathroom for the wife to use when I have the door locked, but she doesn't like that one because it's rather small...

Keith,

A Rolleiflex in good condition would be well worth $170, but here are a few things you should check: 1)The lens must be in good condition. Bring a flashlight with you the next time you visit the store, open up the camera back, open the lens fully using the 'B' setting and look through the lens at the light shining from the opposite side. The lens should be clear & clean. A few dust specks are to be expected, and a few light cleaning marks (very light circular marks on the outer coating only) shouldn't discourage you, but other defects would be enough to discourage me entirely. 2)The shutter should fire at all speeds, and should sound reasonably accurate. Cleaning & lubricating the shutter would cost at least $100, but if the camera is otherwise in excellent shape, it might be money well spent. 3)Move the film advance lever around its circular path a few times and listen carefully for any sounds of grinding; other than a slight increased tension at the 5 o'clock position during each revolution due to shutter cocking, the rotation should be perfectly smooth and quiet. Repair of the film advance is very expensive; this is another defect that would disqualify it in my eyes. 4)Carefully check the front panel, the part of the camera containing the two lenses that moves in and out when you focus. The panel should be absolutely free of dents, or any other indication that it has suffered any severe impact, and focusing should be absolutely smooth. If the front panel has been knocked hard, it may be out of true, which would make focusing impossible. That's something impossible to fix. Finally, like the others suggested, ask the dealer if you could run some film through it. That's the best test,

The Rolleiflex with Tessar is a great all-around camera. It's a little soft with the lens wide open (the Rolleis with Planar or Xenotar are better in very low light), but stop it down a little and it's unbeatable. They don't call the Tessar "the eagle eye" for nothing. Good luck!

Keith,

One thing I forgot to mention: the first Rollei with Tessar made right after World War II was a real dog, but that particular Tessar was only issued as an f2.8. All f3.5 Tessars are stellar performers, so you really needn't worry about which particular model you're getting, although you might expect newer models to be in the best shape. As in scrutinizing all used cameras, it's condition, condition, condition, especially the lens.

The Opton Tessar 80/2.8 I shot on a Rolleiflex 2.8A was just as good as any I've used. OK not a super performer at f/2.8 but then neither is the Super Ikonta. Note there was an actual factory defect with the 2.8A model in the earliest serial blocks with the Jena Tessar which caused the dog reputation. The East Germans had mismatched the elements when the new old stock prewar Tessar 80/2.8 lenses (Super Ikonta destined?) were sent-out for coating. (or so the story goes)

If the Rollei works properly, buy it, it's an excellent deal. If it has some functional problems, take a pass. You should let the wife know that it will not be going down in value, so it's really free for as long as you own it. And if she doesn't see it that way, you need to trade in the wife, or else buy the requisite gift to persuade her.

Keith: To give you an idea how cost of using a Rolleiflex could grow, I am listing below what I apid for a Rolleiflex 2.8D as additional cost after buying the camera:

1. Repair of advance mechanism $150 (after 15 years of use)

2. New Maxwell screen $150 with installation

3. Lens caps $80

4. lens hood $70

The above did not include any need for having the camera initially adjusted or repaired. I bought it from a camera repairman. Today I took the camera to have it checked out since photos came back slightly soft. An initial test suggests something is not alligned correctly internally. I just came back from a trip by plane, and maybe the camera was shaken a little during the trip (even though it was carried with carry-on).

Tom Holum wrote:

"Keith, One thing I forgot to mention: the first Rollei with Tessar made right after World War II was a real dog, but that particular Tessar was only issued as an f2.8. ..."

That was the 1950-52 model. I have one of them (a 1951 2.8A). It is the only one of my many Rolleiflexes that my wife lets me use to take pictures of her (she claims some, like the original 1929 Rolleiflex, are so sharp they show blemishes she hasn't had since Nixon was president). The mid-50's ones are great cameras, altho your wife may want you to use a flattering duto filter or a piece of black stocking over the lens if you do nudes of her with it :-)