What are these white spots?

Just learned how to develop B&W at home and have so far processed about 8 rolls. My 1st three rolls were

very clean. No dust, no specks, no streaks.

Now, my rolls all have these white specks and the only thing I have changed after my 1st three rolls was to

buy and mix some photo flo. Could using photo flo, if mixed too strong make these specs in my

negatives? COuld it be the fixer which is Ilford rapid fix (I re-used it for all rolls)

Thanks for any tips.

I hang dry the negatives in a closed room and like I said, the 1st three rolls were clean. Just not sure what

is happening now.

Sample images...<div>00HySi-32248384.jpg.368a3b8192a50f0717a7428158d3baf5.jpg</div>

Well, it shouldn't be the fixer, as it's usually used over and over again, unless you got some weird stuff in there from the previous rolls.

Too-strong photo-flo could lead to some problems, but I've never seen it leave little specks like that. Looks like dust to me.

allan

I've over-mixed photo-flo often in the past and have never seen this happen. You're probably not (because they're harder to find, if available at all,) using powdered chemistry for developing. Stop and try liquid if necessary.

But I agree: the first one is definitely a fingerprint, and based on that (handling of the negatives) all those other spots are dust on your neg, (possibly dust in the enlarger, but they look way too sharp for that.)

Thanks for the tips. Went back and scanned a couple from my 1st two rolls and they are

spot/speck free. No problems, no dust. Not sure how these have so much dust. Maybe the

photo flo attracts dust?? I did not have photo flo for the 1st two.

I use D76 developer (powder which was mixed into gallon jug) - liquid fixer and water for

stop bath. On my next roll I will omit the photo flo and see what happens. Im thinking its

attracting dust.

Thanks

I agree too. It's the dust and the first show also your fingerprints.

I had this little spots at my first rolls developped. Now I eliminate this problem in this way.

- In order to eliminate dust you have to meke it fall down. How??

- before beginning the development go to bathroom and let shower (or something else) create a lot of humidity.

- The humidity will have fallen down the micro dust, so always inside the bathroom, extract the developped film from the tank and hang it dry

You'll take longer to dry but you should not have this problem anymore.

Give it a try and let us know.

Antonio

After having spent countless hours spotting prints, I will say that is dust. You say you process your own film but you don't mention an enlarger, so I will assume you just scan the film and print. Dust comes and goes, it doesn't stick permanently to the negative. It may be on the film or scanner. Clean the negative and re-scan with the negative entered into the scanner the opposite way. If the spots are still not in the same place, you will know that it is only momentary dust picked up from the room.
James G. Dainis

Put a sample of your chemicals in a clear glass and shine a light through the side. These spots look more like chemical precipitates than dust, because of the small, relatively uniform size and lack of "threads". Chemicals may deteriorate with use, and can be contaminated as well.

I prefer to use 1-shot developers (discarded after one use). Many components of developers are poorly soluble, easily contaminated, and produce particulate. Mold is a real problem in old developers. I have also seen problems with fixer. If the pH rises, you tend to get sulphate particle, which can deposit on film.

You may also have problems from the get-go. Follow the preparation directions exactly, including the order of dilution or mixing. If you use dry chemicals, allow them to stand at least 24 hours before use. Don't filter fresh chemicals - if they aren't dissolved properly, you may change the composition. I prefer to use distilled/deionized water for dilution, but I live in an hard-water area. I wash in tap water, however.

Excessive Photoflo concentration may cause reticulation, but not spots of this sort. You have broad latitude in its dilution. Photoflo should be made using distilled water (DW). Water spots are completely eliminated this way.

You may also have a dust problem. As you work, you will tend to stir up dust which will find its way to the film as it dries. It might help to use a well-washed lab coat and rubber gloves. Using Photoflo with DW and a squeegee makes the film surface dry very quickly, so it doesn't pick up nearly as much dust.

I had that very appearance occur only once, and it was when the fixer (powder source) was not properly mixed. The first rolls were fine, but subsequent rolls had precipitate on them.

Rewashing them remedied the problem.

FWIW, photoflow really should be a 1:200 dilution. If you overdo it, you don't get specs like that, but a smear, a residue (glycol, I think).