Replacement for the 35mm 2.0 after switch to 1.6 crop?

nickmeertens

Hi all,

On my 20d i really mis a fast moderate wide angle lens. A lens like

the 35mm f/2 is for full frame camera's.

35/1.6 is about 22, so i'm looking to buy a fast 20 or 24mm lens (and

no, i don't have enough money for L glass :-().

I was thinking of trying the Sigma 24mm f1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro.

Does anyone have experiences with this lens and how are they? How is

the macro function?

Does anyone have other suggestions? (or a canon 24mm 1.4L for $300?)

Thanks, Nick

I have the Sigma 20mm f1.8 EX DG etc, etc... and it's a quite useful 32mm on a 20D. Obviously it's a very fast lens at f/1.8 and one can focus quite close with it - although I'd hesitate to call it a macro lens.

I don't have very many shots taken with it here on Photonet. I do have one that I shot a few years ago while in Yosemite that was shot with a 10D - and it's certainly not a macro:

http://www.photo.net/photo/3613266

Of course the lens is pretty soft wide open but when stopped down sharpens up nicely. I'm not a big fan of how Sigma implements the autofocus/manual focus switch - it's a push-pull design and can get a bit confusing - but other than that it's a very good lens, especially for the price. It comes with a very nice padded case and lens hood. You might want to check one out. Good luck!

Maybe the ability to switch ISO's at will may allow you to buy a slower lens than a 1.8 thereby saving you some dough.

I have a 24mm 2.8 ef lens which i have just started using on my 350 xt as my new 'normal lens' , around 38mm equivalent. It was a tad soft at the edges on film but problem solved with the digicrop. Also, you can leave it on hyperfocal most of the time if outdoors . It focusses real fast (not far to move) but is not usm or full time MF(but who cares with such a lens . Its also pretty light but reasonably solidly built for the price.

How about the Canon 20mm f/2.8 USM? I've been using one on my 20d and so far I'm very happy with the results. And of course, you get the USM focusing with full-time manual. I find it to be sharp and contrasty. The results are comparable to the 35mm f/2.0 on my film bodies.

If I had any complaint at all about the lens, it's that it is heavy. Especially compared to the 35/2 which is a featherweight. That, and I'd love it to be another stop or so faster.

A previous reply from me, and I posted some shots in that post:

(http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00D3nz)

How about the 20mm/2.8? During my recent longish travel, I took about 80 percent of all my shots with this lens - this lens has become my street photography/landscapes/indoors lens... Of course on my XT/350D it is a 32mm/2.8 lens... Now, I am on record here for saying the following about this lens on a x1.6 crop body:

"...And, one day, I woke up and found a lousy 32mm/2.8 in its place (I went digital with the 350D/XT)... What is an ultra-wide lover supposed to do?" So what led me to change my mind? Well, a number of things:

- this lens is a REAL USM lens, and the focus is dead on. No back/front focus issues. Plus, the fact that it communicates to the body the subject/focus distance makes a big difference in getting fill-in flash right. With my 28/2.8 and 50/1.8, I have to focus manually, or they will front focus most of the time. I would not buy a non-USM lens (the real deal - not the one in 50mm/1.4) even if someone gave it to me at 1/3 the price). And I find that I have to dial in a negative 2/3 to 1.1/3 stop FEC with the 28/2.8 and 50/1.8 at short distances to get fill-in flash right since they cannot do E-TTL II...

- f/2.8 is not exactly a low light lense (I have been spoiled by a fantastic 35mm/1.8 manual focus Minolta lens), but with ISO 800 being highly usable with the XT/350D (especially after some moderate noise reduction with NeatImage), and with the luxury of deleting non-keepers, this lens becomes usable in low light: f/2.8 - 1/30sec. It is not at its best at f/2.8, but almost no wide lens performs its best wide open.

I have noticed that the price for the 20mm/2.8 has gone down recently, at least here in Toronto, and there are quite a few available on the auction site. The dedicated lens hood for this lens is so expensive, it might be a deal breaker for some... Smth to consider if you can find used copies.

Good luck

Thanks for your suggestions!

I'm afraid 2.8 just isn't fast enough, i shoot a lot available light after dark and indoors. 2.8 lenses often don't get real sharp until at 4.0 (i know, the 1.8 probably wont be very sharp at 1.8 but i will get something and at 2.8 it will have improved (I hope).

At 2.8 the Canon 24mm does get better reviews than the 20mm... 4 more mm might be nice though...

choises choises... Hope to here from someone with hands-on experience with the Sigma lens.

Nice photo's A. Taner!

Nick

I had the 24/2.8 for about two years. Small, light, fast, fast AF (no USM but it does have RF) and amazing optical quality. Sharp wide open and tack sharp at f/4 and onwards. No distortion. Excellent flare protection. I once put the sun deliberately inside the frame to test it. As expected, there is a slight resolution decrease but it is really slight. Also, there are none of those ugly color spots.

And all this for 280$. I'd certainly buy it again (I sold it to save for a DSLR).

Happy shooting,

Yakim.