Large proof prints, perhaps 8x10?

When I used to live in England, Jessops had a service where you could

have your prints developed and printed to 6x9 inches for very cheap,

and 8x10 for not so cheap, but still very reasonable! (40 8x10s for

something like 20 pounds which was then only about 30 dollars).

Are there any Boston-based or mail-based labs that will do the

same--run a roll of C41 and give your proofs in 8x10 format for a

non-ridiculous sum of money?

Yeah, they are called "enlarger proofs" or "enlarger contact prints," where they simply use a 3-strip wide carrier and run the whole 30 inch wide sheet at once, with little or no color correction... Just like conventional contact prints.

Especially for architectural clients, unrolling the whole 30x45 inch sheet on the conference room table can be impressive...

<p><a href="http://www.f-d.com">

Ferranti-Dege</a> in Harvard Square will do 5x7 or 6x9 at $.60 ea (.30 second copy) at time of developing.

This compares very favorably to their 3x5 or 4x6 at .39 ea (.17 second copy). I have always been pleased with my results.

<p>

For 35mm the 6x9 shows the full picture (5x7 and 8x10 get cropped). It is amazing how a whole package of 6x9 proofs really look like SOMETHING instead of a bunch of 4x6 snapshots.

<p>

You can track down mattes and frames with 6x9 cutouts - I also like to use the currently fashionable large mattes with small cutouts - I then crop the picture where I want it.

<p>

I like to get the Itoya archival "ART Profolio" or "ART Profolio Evolution" at 9x12 and put 2 prints per page. I find these at the Pearl art supply store in Central Square and at Utrecht on Mass Av closer to Harvard.</p>