Development Chart 1 - Kodak Technical Pan

ed b.

Okay, I'm satisfied that there will be enough support for this project to make a start. I would like to begin with slow films and proceed one at a time. I'll make a new post asking for data on another film about once per week, but I'll continue accepting new data on any film indefinitely.

<p>

Kodak Tech Pan - I hate this film. I've taken some absolutely perfect photographs with it, but I've lost far too many great shots because of its finicky contrast characteristics. Nevertheless, it is a film we are always getting requests for information on and it is capable of unbelievable resolution. I swear that Tech Pan negatives I shot with a Pentax H2 and a 1957 f/2 Takumar are easily as sharp (if not more) as anything I've taken with my Mamiya 7 on Ilford Pan F+.

<p>

So send me your Exposure Index, development recommendations, agitation recommendations, wry comments, etc. Don't forget to include developer temperature and dilution. Remember, we don't want the stuff you can easily get from Kodak's data sheet, like the standard time in Kodak Technidol, but YOUR unique tips and tricks for this film. (See <a href="http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/D3200/d3200.html">http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/D3200/d3200.html</a> for an example of how the data will be presented.)

<p>

You can post responses here if you wish, or send information directly to me at edb@unblinkingeye.com. I'll make a special e-mail folder for this data so I can track it easily. Once I get three or four responses, I'll make a web page and publish it on Unblinking Eye. Then I can update it as necessary when more information is received.

Technical Pan @ISO 64. Diafine: part A 1+50 Part B full strength. 3

minutes in A and 3 minutes in B. Agitate gently 5 seconds every

minute. Temperature: panthermic. Prints VC 0/1. The sharpest

negatives I've ever seen. (Still under refinement)

> Kodak Technical Pan

<p>

OK, here goes. All give similar CIs. Agitation is standard inversion 30 sec initial, 5 sec/30 sec.

<p>

Ethol TEC (liquid) 1:15 5'30"/ 70F EI 50

<p>

Xtol 1:3 12'/70F EI 12

<p>

Rodinal 1:100 5'/72F EI 12

<p>

Burton 195 6'/68F EI 12

<p>

TDLC-103 10'/68F EI 12

<p>

C-41 9'/68F EI 16

<p>

I too don't really like TP. The curve shape is weird, spectral sensitivity is a bit unnatural, it doesn't like any development or exposure variations and it really doesn't like changes in humidity. I think that for the most part limitations in camera and film-flatness precision and improper technique limit its actual image resolution to no better than a traditional-type (non-document) film such as TMX etc.

Ed;

<p>

I use Diafine straight as recommended by the manufacturer. Bill is

trying different dilutions to reduce the timing precision needed for

the B solution. The A solution development time is at least 3 minutes.

When I dump the A solution, I set my gralab to 60 seconds and when the

hand hits 45, I pour in the B solution and give five inversions

immediately. When the hand hits 0, I dump the B solution and

immediately rinse for 10 seconds with water, then immediatly pour in

Rapid fix at film strenght. The negatives are just brilliant!

On a related note Im curious if anyone has ever tried tech pan in

Modified Windisch dev sold by the formulary. It states its similar to

the old windisch but modified by bill troop. they also recomend it

for tech pan.-J