Landscape photographers - the best ones?

donnydarko

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One book that I have treasured for a number of years is The Expressionist Landscape: A Master Photographer's Approach, by Yuan Li. It was published by Amphoto Books in 1989 and unfortunately may be hard to find.

Another secret. Every year I buy myself an engagement calendar with nature photographs. I guess that isn't 100 percent landscape photography, but you get the idea. The Sierra Club has one. Kodak used to have one that I liked a lot. For the last couple of years I have bought the Audubon Engagement Calendar. Every week I turn the page to a nice new photograph. It may or may not be "the best" but I appreciate having them around.

Five years ago I'd have given you a list which would resemble most others here

Jack Dykinga; the Muenches; John Sexton; Ansel Adams; Christopher Burkett; Michael Fatali(until he p****d me off for reasons quite independent of the Delicate Arch thing); William Neill and from the UK Charlie Waite and Joe Cornish. Never did like Rowell's work much- too gaudy and "Outdoor Photographer"for me I'm afraid.

Then it began to dawn on me that few if any of these photographers had an individual style, and few if any of them were moving their photography on. It's sometimes hard to tell which of these luminaries (or a couple of dozen near misses for this list) made a particular image, and whether an image was made last week or a decade or two ago. Most of these guys are not moving forward at all, and may of the US ones don't even travel far to test themselves in unfamiliar environments.

Yet in recent years I've seen a number of marvellous exhibitions of paintings which demonstrate amply how its possible for artists to develop/improve what they do and that maybe some development is necessary to retain some degree of freshness in their creative vision. Turner, Picasso, Cezanne, Hopper, are just a few cases in point.

So the people on the list I'm giving below are (I think) making some individual imaginative contribution; or can demonstrate a clear pattern of development in their work. As such they are playing (or so I think) a bigger game than the people I first mentioned. Not all of them are "landscapers" in the sense of making pretty rural pictures to the exclusion of all else.

Michael Kenna; David Maisel; Roman Polanc; McDuff Everton; Edward Burtynsky; Tony Worobiec (UK); Robert Polidori; Michael Kahn; George Tice

I would also add David Henderson to the list. He is one my favorite British landscape photographers. I really enjoy his medium format photos.

I also like Ken Duncan for his panoramic landscape of Australia and America.

I am surprised to see someone mentioned Yuan Li. His book is one of my best Landscape books. Does anyone know where he is now? He was a physic professor in New York when he wrote his book.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Tom Till... or did I miss it. Plus, it seems to me that there's a reason they're (many of the names listed above) now referred to as 'classic' landscape photographers. <br>

<br>

IMHO - I think Frans Lanting is one of the best naturalist & wildlife photogs on the planet, but not that many of his 'pure-landscape' images seem to have (for me) that same level of passionate depiction and pure "Wow" factor as so very many of his animal shots. We all seem to highlight our own personal passions, don't we?<br>

<br>

Gary Crabbe<br>

<a href="http://www.enlightphoto.com">Enlightened Images</a><br>

<br>

P.S. I don't put myself in the "Best" landscape photographers cat., but you're welcome to visit my site or check out my books.

<br>

Hi All

My UK vote goes for:

Peter Watson (http://www.peterwatson-photographer.com), book: Light in the Landscape. Stunning UK landscapes captured in large format.

My first landscape book, so probably my favourite. NOT TO BE MISSED.

Charlie Waite (www.charliewaite.com), International landscapes, lots of work in France and Italy.

Joe Cornish (www.joecornish.co.uk, books: First Light and Scotland's Coast. Top notch UK and international landscapes.

and Finally David Ward (http://www.davidwardphoto.co.uk/), very clever and often philosophical landscaper.

Well thats my opinion anyway.

It's all good stuff.

Happy Reading

John

Photographers who reside in the Pacific Northwest have the best landscape to photograph in my opinion! Doesn't that make us the best landscape photogrphers? Kidding. Check out Dennis Frates. He deserves more credit and I believe he has a website. Christopher Burkett and Craig Tuttle have some books. They are as worthy of perusal as anyone else in this curious genre.

I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned Elliot Porter, one of the first to do color landscapes, make superbe dye-transfer prints, and publish books like "The Intimate Landscape". I like the work of the contemporary photographer Larry Ulrich http://www.larryulrich.com/. And, the classic and contemporary black and white landscapes arising from the Monterey Peninsula tradition of St. Ansel, Eedward Weston, Wynn Bullock, Morley Baer, John Sexton, and especially, Brett Weston.

Dear Dark Matter:

Wait a minute. Hold everything. In a PS to your original message you mention John Ganis. I went to the John Ganis Web site. That changes everything. John Ganis doesn't just take photographs. He makes statements. I have seen a lot of work in this vein at the Museum of Photographic Arts in San Diego. I am sorry I can't remember the names of photographers. You might take your question (an email or a phone call) to the museum which is known as MOPA. The director is Arthur Ollman who is a pretty good photographer in his own right. If you can't get through to Ollman himself, ask to talk to the bookstore. Tell them you are interested in photographers whose works speaks about the desecration of the environment. I am sure someone there will be able to help you. Good luck.