I'm ready for some color again... but which film?

I've shot so much B&W that I'm ready for a little color. But that's my

question: what film would you recommend for just a little color. It

seems like all the color film out there is so contrasty and saturated

that it's just too much.

Are there any films that might help me with a more subtle color with

more shadow detail and less highlight? I shoot 35mm, 6x6 and 4x5.

I recently re-read a great book again: "Ansel Adams In Color". I was

taken back by how subtle his tones were, and how long his tonal range.

I can't recall seeing color work this delicate in a long time. Now

days it seems like everyone wants to hit you in the face with deep,

saturated color. I want to play the other way: what can I explore more

subtly? I don't want to use PhotoShop to do it, I want a good straight

print. I just need some help on the right film. My gut reaction says

negative film, but which one? Thanks so much in advance! Cheryl

Agreed, consumer color films are all about MORE color and MORE contrast. The banner on the front of Walgreens drug store claims "Now Brighter Colors" for their one-hour lab. Kodak's consumer films used to be reasonably natural, now they are chasing Fuji in the saturation/contrast contest.

Try Kodak Portra 160NC or 400NC, printed on Kodak Portra Endura paper. It will look very natural that way. Printing it on Fuji Crystal Archive will get the colors wrong, and a little too much saturation.

Someone mentioned Kodachrome. Kodachrome 64 is very contrasty, you won't get a long scale out of it. Kodachrome 200 is less contrasty, and has a restrained color palette. But it's quite grainy. Also, it's very late in the product life of Kodachrome to get hooked on it, it's doomed.

"The only thing that doomed Kodachrome was Kodak."

No. What doomed Kodachrome was people NOT BUYING IT. I have no sympathy for the Kodachrome fanatics and their fantasies. Having managed two photo stores, I can tell you there were (are) far better selling films than Kodachrome.

Photographers doomed Kodachrome not Kodak.

If you want low-moderate saturation, low contrast, good shadow detail, etc., your best bet is actually Agfa Portrait 160. It is much more restrained/subtle than the Kodak and Fuji portrait films. Feel free to give the others a try, but it sounds like Agfa 160 is exactly what you're looking for. It doesn't get much more subtle than that.

The lab is just as important as the film. Above recommendations

of Reala and NPH will not produce what you want if printed

by a Fuji Frontier (too much saturation). I recommend trying

Portra 160NC, Agfa XPS, and Fuji Pro 160S in a Kodak-based lab

to see which you like best. Good luck in your lab search.

Kodak EPN or E200 might work if you have a scanner.

Hyper-sensitive films are more subtle than the flat ones. Pay more attention to the quality of the light and less to the film. Shoot overcast, foggy, or filtered. Don't underexpose. There are creative filters that could help with this. For subtle color use Velvia or Astia. Also,the range of variation obtained in printing from these films is absolutely huge . . . from muted to harsh.

Answer was Why should I use Kodachrome when I could get My Ektachrome back in 1 day or my Agfa Chrome or my GAF 500? even in the 70's it took a week to get back my Kodachrome. No Kodak killed it not the Photographer. and then into the 80's and 90's the only inprovement was dropping 25 introducing a negative film that they advertised as the Kodachrme of negative film just to drop it .... Remember? Whaat was it called? Ektar?

I'm an NPH/Reala fan myself. You may want to look at the portfolios of people making various suggestions - I expect we each reflect our suggestion in what we use, and that may give you a sense of what we like in the film.

Here are a couple of mine that show what I think NPH is all about:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?include=all&user_id=438504

http://www.photo.net/photo/2697947

NPH gives good skin tones (what it is really made for) and colors that are fairly true - if anything, the colors are a slight bit pastelly. The whites tend to be very clean without being glaring bright. For landscapes, I think the color is much more subtle than most of the options, and gives less of that surreal saturated velvia look.