scanning B&W Prints

It can also help to scan at a resolution at least twice what you need in the final file -- that is, if you need the file to be 600x800 for web viewing (that's large for the web, BTW), and the print is 8x10, you'd need the final file to resolve about 75 ppi, so scan at 150 ppi or higher, then sharpen after resizing.

Literally *any* consumer scanner should be able to produce an acceptably sharp scan from an 8x10 print with the correct workflow, but you'll probably find the tonal rendition disappointing even with a high end semi-pro scanner -- most monitors can't reproduce the tonal range represented in a well made print, even if the scanner retains enough brightness information to record that range.

I think the key is not trying to get a scan that looks good. Instead you want one that captures the max amount of data that can then be adjusted (levels & curves) in Photoshop to give you a great print. Just like you don't want a good looking neg. You want one that will yeild a great print.

I scan b&w negs rather conventionally (grayscale positive) just making sure I don't clip either end. It's the curve one uses in Photoshop that makes the difference between a boring print and one that just reaches out to you.