Can a photograph be a work of art?

That is total crap. If you know the difference you might be a photographer. I am a beginner, and I appreciate the ability to learn.

However, to me, using a camera is much easier than most things. No, I don't have to ask, but I did, you facetious pratt. (probably not in the American heritage).

Cheers.

Jim

I see the point now, asking yourself about art. I over-reacted somewhat, I tend to do that, sorry. I do care whether or not a photo is art, because I am just a beginner.

There is not so much fine art photography in the world, so I guess there is room for more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Art is not mathematics; there's more than one right answer. I like "art is a distillation of life". This is a useful and fine razor for cticizing stage, film and TV presentations and it's interesting how well it applies to a static medium like a photograph.

Perhaps we should take the view that no artist finishes as much as abandons a work ... "This is the best I could do ...". Of the moments in time the photographer could have pullled the trigger the image we see is the best of the bunch. And that is an art.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many forms of visual art. and Photos (thru Photography) is one of those.

Hence, any photo produce out of our creativity, imagination, knowledge, skills and resourcefulness is a piece of art.

SHOOT, be creative, imaginative, artistic and express ideas, emotion, mood etc... thru pictures.

Levi

• 3 weeks later...

Finally (or maybe not) most philosophy is about the meaning of words. The broader the defintiion (of a word) the greater the scope for endless and fruitless debate. There are few words that have a broader meaning than 'art'. In a sense you could describe everything that exists as being art. If you are religious, we are all works of art because we are 'created' by God.

I think we all really know what Joyce was on about. It's the technology of the camera that's mainly responsible for a result. The photographer just tinkers around the edges. Of course he chooses his subject, but who doesn't.

What is and what is not art is determined by a personal assessment of whether or not a particular 'work' falls into a particular predefined notion of the meaning of the word.

All discussions of what is or what is not art have no meaning outside a defintion of the word. There is somehow often a general, unquestioned assumption that the meaning of a word (and many other key words related to a subject of hot debate) must naturally be understood because it's such a common, ordinary word.

It's these ordinary, common, broad-meaning words and the emotional capital we've associated with them, that cause so much unnecessary dispute.

• 4 weeks later...