metering on camera

petrovski

Various cams have spot meter. What is your style of photo's and what sorta size you like for the camera? Film or digital?

SLR I would stick with Nikon or Canon. For the greater parts available and the lenses can be swapped to digital and be used for free.

Rangefinder can be more $$ and restricted under digital, v v few models and v expensive. The rangefinder, only thing worries me is it may not be true TTL and not good for using graduated density filters if you doing lanscapes as you can't insert the filter down while pressing DOF button and look via the lens and align it.

Digi, Nikon D50, D70 are good at not so pro prices. Canon is 300D, 350D or 20D. Film is Nikon N80, v nice or F100, F5/6 are $$. Canon Elan are goodRangefinder not sure if they have spot, digi is v few.. the Epson model and the Leica model. Film based you looking at Leica or Yoiglander or Zeiss. Check if they support spot meter.

Peter,

Personally I would highly recommend the Pentax ZX-5n (MZ-5n outside the US). If you can live without depth of field then then you can consider the even cheaper Zx-5/MZ-5. It is an incredible camera for the price and with it you can use any K or screw mount lens (with appropiate $20 adaptor) offering the user access to more excellent lenses than any other lens mount. Further, both mounts offer some of the best deals around.

Sorry, can't recommend a rangefinder.

Ditto the Pentax. I've used Pentax for 30-some years, just got the digital slr, and am using ALL my lenses on it. It may not have the glamour or other brands, but Pentax backward compatibility is spectacular. The ZX-5n can be picked up cheaply used these days. If I weren't having so much fun with the digital, I'd get one myself.

The Older Canon T90 has the most advanced meter in the manual focus era with Averaging, Partical and Spot as easy as turning a control whell. also it is the only camera that can internally average up to 9 spot meter readings and give you a proper reading.