".....and the beat goes on....more 15mm portraits of Al Kaplan by......."

al_kaplan1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"On the plus side they were taken on real traditional B&W film with a Leica thread mount lens

on an LTM compatible camera. Sometimes I even stick that 15 on one of my M bodies. Isn't

that what it's all about?"

Not really - but, as Brad mentioned before, you keep beating that drum...

Below is an email just in from Al. Kind of sad...<BR><P>

<I>On Aug 28, 2005, at 12:18 PM, PREACHERPOP42@aol.com wrote:<BR><P>

Cool! Did you email all your friends or are you now posting under a bunch of accounts?</I>

www.citysnaps.net

I enjoy looking at the super-wide pictures in the series. For one thing, I like the ordinary, day-in-a-life approach to the subject matter; in fact, I like the every-dayness of the pictures themselves. To tell the truth, these pictures interest me more than most of the high-impact, award-winning images in the "Top Photos" gallery. At the risk of seeming completely off my rocker, I would end by saying the pictures in the series seem artful, as in well-seen and well-crafted, to me. Besides, they're just pictures. What's the sweat?

I respect the idea of a photographer wanting to show the world his image <i>in situ</i>. I personally wouldn't mind seeing one of these kinds of photos taken by every regular on this forum, just to get an idea of what they and their world are like.<br><br>On the other hand, a series, especially a multi-installation series such as this, requires much more to be interesting. A series done over a long period of time, such as <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1881337189/102-0278533-6353715?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=507846&s=books&v=glance" Family>Family</a> by Friedlander, or a series done in locations that tell an actual interesting story over a short period of time would be in my opinion more successful than multiple slapdash presentations of minimal coherance or relevance toward a specific goal (unless of course the goal is that which has been previously mentioned by other forumers).

I'm not Brad, and I'm not sure I agree with him. But the argument that an image shot with

film on a Leica is inherently better than say a original digital capture - particularly when

we're arguing about web-based images, seems to be stretching a bit. An image works or it

doesn't - if it works, then I am perhaps interested in the technical details. If it doesn't, I've

already wasted enough time.

<p>

All that aside, I'm not sure any of the 15 mm self-portraits stand on their own - I would

have to look again. But as a sweeping whole they border (to me) on the surreal -

exhibiting an obsessive self-interest in the subject (which is good). But their strength

doesn't arise primarily from technical details (other than the lens field of view and the B+W

choice) but from the subject chosen and the compositions.

I still like it, Al. Everybody among the bored should kick his own butt and try to look better in similar situations and maybe we could have a peaceful egomaniac forum splitted.

The series is at least pushing the Leica system. - I don't dare to pull out a huge SLR lens at McDonalds yet, while I'm having my solitary meal in the crowd. I'm waiting for my first results with that 14mm and believe I could learn from your project; the technique seems good for a few occasional shots once in a while. (If I sound OT: today a used CV 15mm went for 506.22 Euro on ebay.de - a bit out of my range at the moment) - I understand reasons of those who are bashing you, because the old ordinary stuff you posted came closer to pictures which the average guy would like to have taken. - I still like to thank you for teaching and inspiration.

Both are respected artists. But a fan of either, coming across the other, might be disappointed. I think Al is not the Hieronymus Bosch of the self portrait, and if he had reported the Cantebury Tales, we would know nothing of the Miller, the Nun, or the Knight.

<P>

Look at Robert Crumb, and you might see the photos of Al fall into place, and the big picture emerging. Al, Mr. Natural,...they don't think like the "rest of us". You can't look at Crumb asking Bosch questions. You gotta look at Crumb for Crumb.

<P>

Then you find your answers. Some are trying to see Kerouac, some are trying to find Camus, at times, but you're digging with the wrong spoon. Try the Crumb Spoon. See what you come up with.

All along I have viewed Al Kaplan's super-wide angle series of pictures, as I do others' pictures on this site, as examples of another member's work. It's all amateur stuff to me--that is, pictures taken by those who take pictures because they enjoy taking pictures. I like pictures that stand on their own well enough; I also like series of pictures that accrue meaning as a series. Part of my enjoyment in viewing the development of this particular series of pictures arises from watching Kaplan's "juggling" of pictures, his adding one picture after another to the series, without dropping anything. As someone else said, Fun stuff.

Actually, these images are a lot of fun. I find it highly interesting to see Al's life. Something that is unique and something that I have not seen elsewhere.

As for those that bash the technical aspects, get a life, these are posted in fun for fun. Lighten up and enjoy.

Al, keep up the fine work. I enjoy your images and postings.