File transfer from 30D to PC

jani_k

Is there any way to transfer files directly from Canon 30D to PC that

has no CF card reader and no Canon software installed.

Sometimes if my friends want some pictures it would be easy just to

transfer files directly to their PC (Windows XP or 2000 operating

systems).

Thanks

The Mac OS has drivers for most common cameras and will mount them and automatically

copy the files into iPhoto. I imagine MS has it covered as well. Can't hurt to plug and find out.

However, it's just as much trouble to carry a small card reader as a USB cable...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Jani,

To my knowledge the 30D doesn't support "mass-storage-protocol"

that means, it doesn't identify itself as a disk-drive to the

host.

But for Win-XP there might be a way to go ... To my knowledge, Win-XP

does support PTP (picture-transfer-protocol) directly. If you can set

the USB-Interface in the camera to PTP you should be able to copy

files onto a Win-XP system. (I don't know, if there's a driver

for W2K).

Rainer

Thanks,

I have only tried it with Windows 2000 and actually Windows recognizes that it is Canon Digital Camera but then asks for a driver (which I didn't find), so maybe it is possible to get it work with Win2000.

Rainer, In 30D there is Communication setting: Print/PC/LAN and in file transfer setting has to be PC. LAN setting is only used with Wireless File Transmitter (WFT-E1/E1A).

Looks like the only real solution is to get a card reader and carry it with camera.

Ellis, yes, card reader is the best way. Just wanted to know if there is another way to do it. Couple of times I needed to transfer only 1-2 pictures to friends PC and only USB cable was available.

So this isn't such a big issue, just wanted to know what to answer those "can't your new camera even transfer files easily?" ;)

I just plugged my 30D in a coworker's Win XP machine and after 30 seconds it loaded up what it needed to and I was able to pull jpgs off the camera. This was done without installing anything on the machine prior to plugging the camera in.

No problem with Windows XP, just connect via the standard USB and the 'camera and scanner' window pops up and you can transfer straight into the folder you want. You can even rotate the images before you do the transfer. I use it all the time in preference to the Canon software. Not sure that it transfers raw though.