more fun with the DMR

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such vitriol and spiteful words over a camera.

Doug has personal criteria for the photographs he takes. He obviously is slow to adopt any

new camera technology having jumped from the SL2 to a DMR ... while still praising some

of the attributes of his old warhorse cameras. IMO, it's also obvious that his criteria isn't

based on technology as much as the final result of it.

So, I don't take his preferences as bashing, as much as how one piece of gear didn't fit his

personal criteria as well as another.

The DMR offers something different to the eye of some people. And some people find

those differences fit their criteria better than others.

What is so difficult to grasp about that?

I love seeing people buying and shooting the DMR. It makes for better variety in the photo world that would otherwise be too dominated by Canon. Obviously people hold allegiances and it would be great if the threads stayed on topic instead of diverting about plasticky Canon people. Maybe that's why a lot of Leica shooters shot figurines and manequins. They might have a hard time separating reality from plasticky people.

<i>(I said)I wish I could muster as much enthusiasm for my 5D, which cost me rather less</p></i>(Then Douglas said:)

Yet another reminder that you get what you pay for.</i></p>My choice of the 5D over a DMR had nothing whatsoever to do with being cheap and if that was your implication, you're a pompous twit. If not, then I apologise in advance. My disappointment with the 5D centres round the corner performance, both vignetting (somewhat fixable with enough time and effort in Photoshop)and resolution (not fixable at all). Had I to do it again I would buy a 20D for half the cost of the 5D, because I <i>have</i> compared files from both and there is no remarkable difference. If I were of a mind to spend what I would need to acquire a new DMR and a new R9 plus the requisite number of R lenses needed to fill out my needs, I would quite rather buy a digital back for my Hasselblad kit. Of course if I were a bird photographer I would not consider that as an option, the point being that one ought buy one's kit based upon need not price or the [perceived] status of the marque.

Douglas, I am sorry I misinterpreted your remarks and apologise again.

<i>Peter A Photo.net Patron Prolific Poster, apr 09, 2006; 06:51 p.m.

Terence - my Leica lenses cost less than their Canon equivalents as did my R9 body as did teh DMR back - you need to go back to school and do the arithmetic proper like and stop whining like a puppy who needs to pee..</i></p> <i>You</i> Peter <i>are</i> a pompous twit, beside being either dyslexic or stupid or both, and are due no apology whatsoever. The cost comparison I made was a full R9+DMR kit including lenses, versus a unitary digital back for the Hasselblad kit which I already possess. The V96C is <i>slightly</i> more expensive than a new DMR+R9 alone, nevermind lenses. How whatever assortment of second-hand R lenses you own compares to a professional kit of new Canon "L" lenses (when one makes one's living from one's shooting one is pennywise and pound-foolish to risk upon second-hand kit) is of no relevance at all, least of all to me.

The DMR delivers what I'd been waiting for: detail, dynamic range, color accuracy and gradation

For a lot less money the Fuji S3 will produce even better results (dynamic range, film depth, etc.) for a lot less money. However, if you are committed to Leica glass and are happy with the results you are achieving....that is all what matters.

My opinion from looking at actual prints from both.

Regardless, Douglas, is so professional he is capable of getting great results from anything....including a banana ;)

Quite the opposite in fact. Only a bloody fool wouldn't keep an eye on costs, which include kit. That it can offset revenues in the eyes of the tax collector doesn't mean that it does not subtract from profit...and trust me you whinging yanks have got it easy when it comes to taxes compared to the UK. Most successful professionals (and by successful I don't mean having captured the attention of amateur posters on internet fora, but rather succesful in terms of making a jolly good income from it)try to purchase only as much kit as it takes to do the job and satisfy the client, not their own artistic egos. The latter path leads to financial ruin. Cost means least to Leica-using amateurs, most of whom have incomes from their true professions or occupations that offer them significantly greater financial means than most professional photographers.

"The DMR has superior dynamic range dude and does not give plastic images for people

shots.

How many times do you have to be told!"

I haven't really seen any data that indicate the DMR has superior dynamic range, and

certainly don't buy the typical BS line that most DSLRs give 'plastic' images for people shots.

Most successful professionals (and by successful I don't mean having captured the attention of amateur posters on internet fora, but rather succesful in terms of making a jolly good income from it)try to purchase only as much kit as it takes to do the job and satisfy the client, not their own artistic egos.

Hmmm i make a extremely good living and totally satisfy my clients and your advice is worthless. You really need a life , you must be some old fart that does not want to change his ways. Terence you have nothing ever to add that is postive or even remotely friendly, this place is run by whiners and dpreview devotes. What you all get kicked off that forum and decide to ruin another. Please all of you don't even consider buying a DMR, The ones that did actually know what they got and i won't be around to help with questions nor will anyone else. You guys actually think I care it says Leica in the name plate , show me something better and i will buy it tomorrow. This is a screwed up site , no i take that back there are way to many people here that don't take photography and good conversation seriously, you want to go play in the playground have fun. I have way more important things to do.

>My disappointment with the 5D centres round the corner performance, >both vignetting (somewhat fixable with enough time and effort in >Photoshop)and resolution (not fixable at all).

This has nothing to do with the 5D and everything to do with the lenses. Canon makes some excellent long glass, but below 35mm their wides aren't that great, especially wide open. This is why you see a lot of 1dsII/5D shooters buying Leica or Contax wides and using them via an adapter. I often shoot a 2/50 Summicron-R on my 5d, because it eats the 1.4/50 Canon for breakfast.

Feli

Your absolutely right. Here is the bottom line guys I owned Canon and you folks think this is some war with them or i hate them or i lost money with them or i just like bashing them. Far from it, I like canon they make great stuff for the masses. I have gone head to head with the DMR , leica glass, Zeiss glass and canon glass. There simple is no comparision. I bought the 1ds when it first hit the streets , great camera was the first to make a FF sensor body , okay second to contax. But it was obvious from day one that Canon wide angles do not cut the mustard . I screamed this song for 4 years and has gone on deaf ears. I switched to Zeiss lenses to compensate for there lack of wide angle than started buying Leica glass and one day looked in my bag and there were 10 Leica lenses and 1 canon. Now guys no matter what the hell you think of me , I ain't crazy and i just don't throw money at nothing. so I tried the DMR and after exhautive testing and research which no one does , I found many things that are better . Now you want to argue the science of it all than I am not the guy , I am a shooter and a damn good one( my words) and i know what looks like crap and what don't. i have posted all this stuff and it is out there believe me or not could care less. But everyone that has bought the DMR has agreed with every word i said about it, so either there all idiots like me or i actually may know something. So get off the bloody armchair and go shoot and learn something , the comments around here are mostly guessing the info is out there , now go find it. I am not Leica's marketing dept. nor will I ever be unless they start writing some serious checks. But if i said there is a 2 stop DR difference than there is, I have no reason to lie. i have a reputation as a photographer that has a lot of answers and a wealth of info behind it, i am not going to lie. Buy these things or not i don't care but when there is someone that is has interest in it or wants advice on it than as a Pro that likes to help than I will what i don't need is crap from the peanut gallery, if you don't agree that is great and ask like a human being and be polite . i am 99 percent of the time but this is pissing me off the stuff that I , Marc and Doug and a few other great folks have dealt with. there is not a thread that goes on here without armchair idiots posting stuff about really nothing. Now if you want to learn something than listen to what good folks have to say , the stuff that Leica is putting out is quite interesting and a lot of it goes against a lot of logic like the 10 mpx vs 16 mpx from a Cmos with a AA filter. What people forget is this is a MF camera in a small format which makes for some amazing images.

Okay second i want to apoligize for my rant , this is not something I do often but I am tired of this stuff and after 30 years of being a pro this stupidity that comes out on these forums is amazingly childish. You want a good forum that you can get good information from and learn something and make some good buying decisions on gear than folks all i can say to you is get rid of the trash by getting in the mods ears.