Several recent postings put this idea in my head and I would like to

brain storm the notion of establishing an exchange of classic cameras

between members. Nancy Beuler mentioned Daniel Iggers lent her a

Zenobiaflex TLR for the summer. She is thrilled using a TLR for the

first time.

My idea springs from Nancy's excitement and results. We could satisfy

our curiosity to try a camera we've never used, but heard lots of

good reports and seen wonderful results from it. But we won't really

know if it's the right camera for us until we try it.

My own example would be as follows: I've had 3 Canonet QL-17 G-III

QLs and know them well and like them a lot, but I never tried a

Konica Auto S2. I would like to swap my remaining one with another

member who has the Konica Auto S2 who has never tried the Canonet.

The length of trial period would be mutally agreed upon. Each would

try a camera they never used before and if they both are satified,

the swap would become permanent. Needless to say this calls for trust

on both sides, but it will avoid buying one on auction or from

another person then find out you and the 'wish list' camera are not

compatible, or it doesn't come up to your expectations.

Nothing would be lost if either side says, "No thank you." The only

cost would be the price of shipping it-- essentially round trip. Each

one would pay for sending his/hers out and returning the other

party's camera. If both sides are happy, then it's only a one way

shipment.

I can hear thunder claps in the distance saying how this idea would

fail, but it's worth discussing. What to you folks think about it?

Lester, I find that out of all the forums and all the websites, the Classic Cameras (pre-1970) Forum is the most civil and respectful of all. I think that we have already developed a trust based strictly from our love of the classics and photography. Myself...I would have no doubt that your idea would be a success and would be happy to participate. I would also like to add a note; I would love to hear about classic camera groups that get together and shoot for the love of it! I live in the Atlanta area and would love to hear from other classic camera users in the area that would like to form a group where we can swap cameras, go out and shoot events or locations and share the results with this forum.

Lester, that sounds like a great idea, and I would be willing to participate, but the only classics I own are Kodaks, like the Hawkeye, Bullseye, etc. I do have a Kiev 4A, but I haven't been able to use it, due to a faulty take-up reel. I'm expecting some new ones soon. I also have an Ikonta 521/16, but am having trouble with the shutter (as you probably know).

Jay, I am fortunate to be a member of the Classic Cameras, Toronto Chapter, along with Mike K., Daniel Iggers, Mihai Costea, and Matt Marek. We got together recently, and had a great time swapping stories, trying out each other's cameras, and drinking a few beers on a bar patio. I am hoping to get together again soon, for a "shoot-out" on the streets of Toronto, which is Matt's idea. I hope you can arrange your own Chapter where you are in Atlanta.

Nancy<div>00Cx57-24774584.thumb.JPG.b44a932f8c750dd71c233f7c0cc88d83.JPG</div>

Les,

I agree and think it's a great notion. I would be willing to participate. I don't have a Konica Auto S2, though, so I can't help you out there.

What would be the best way for us to list what we'd like to swap? External website? I have some spare web space, but I'm no whiz at web design. I know next to nothing about web hosting, really, but I can put up a simple webpage and I'd be willing to host such a thing. I only have a dial-up connection at home (where I would be uploading the site), so pictures would have to be very small or no pics at all.

Or, if anyone has a better idea, I'm all for it. What do y'all think?

--Micah in NC

Mark, I love your idea, and I've been dying to visit Eastman house for years now. I'd be up for a visit if anyone else is, plus I'd like to try the ferry out.

Jordan, we'll be sure to notify you of our next Toronto get-together!

Mike, I never like pictures of me ;-)

Nancy

I have to chime in with Jay here; this is one of the most friendly forums I know. I check in almost every day, but rarely post anything.

Jochen;

yes there are other europeans here. Let's do something over here... It would be really great.

There must be a connection between beer and photography. I buy my case of 12 bottles of beer according to the best current price on the international market. Sorry to report to my US compatriots, but I usually don't buy American beer. Maybe cuz I've had the original Budweiser in Bohemia, and local Bud is tasteless by comparison.

This week at the local package store, the best deal was with Canadian made Moosehead and I had my first bottle with lunch. I raise my mugs the glass one and the one I was born with in a northerly direction and say Cheers! to our Canadian fellow members.

For any Classic Camera lovin' Photo.netters in the Boston area, who'd like to tip a few and/or just talk about old cameras, I'm game to drive the 25 miles from Framingham to the Bean Town, Hub of the Universe, Athens of America --all old monikers that have become archaic expressions.

Hal coming into your stamping grounds could be the impetus to get folks within a reasonable radius to congregate and admire him and each other's favotite camera of the month.

This sounds like it would be really fun, though I also am not sure I have enough of a collection to really contribute.

What I can definitely contribute is web space. I can grant admin access to that space if anyone wants to develop a site, and I'm on broadband, so I can handle photos alright.

Worst case, I could just manually whip up something that would list the cameras available. I think it might be best to let the folks who have those cameras contact each other individually, just to be sure the two are comfortable with the entire deal. This is a great forum, but it's still pretty anonymous.

thoughts? www.kaiyen.com/classic_swap is just waiting to be developed :-)

allan

First of all, I like the photos of the people who I have "seen" only through their postings. As for Lester's idea, I tried it in the Leica Forum and I was shot down there. Maybe that was due to having many collectors of expensive min Leica cameras who were not going to participate in such an exchange/loaner program. The idea is really practical and it allows you to try out different cameras without having to keep on buying more and more classical cameras and then "get stuck" with them forever. I support Lester's idea fully.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I'm not good at organizing such a project, but Allan Chen's website with broad band would be ideal. People can put up their wish list and cameras they can offer for lending. Then the people can make their own contacts through the list and photos of camera gear.

Mike Kovacs, I have a photo I took this afternoon to establish I have had a few Mooseheads before today. If there is any distortion in this photo it could be cuz I saw a moose in my backyard, or was it an elephant?<div>00CxQN-24778184.jpg.829e9729ab297447c75f4c5fae3d8b28.jpg</div>

George, Shhhhh! The reason I'm biting my lip is because I have your former Coolpix 990 held at an angle to hide which cam took the pic. It's obvious the Kiev 4AM with Jupiter 9 didn't take this shot. I took over 10 hand-held exposures and this was one of the few that wasn't blurred, only got the mirror or flash accidently went off.

I do it again another time with a classic camera with beer in a mug or stein. Stubble of beard was grown to test sharpness of a few lenses.