When does the term "professional" apply?

There is no official definition aside from any established by legislative code. Generally, anyone who charges and receives remuneration for services can be considered a photogeaphy pro. It's another question as to whether they are any good, or act responsibly.

Maris is the man.

I agree with his distinction of Commercial rather than professional. I get paid to take pictures for newspapers and magazines. Staff. The "professional" part of my job description has as much to do with standards of behavior and conduct as it does with my proficiency at taking images. More. Am I honest, incorruptible and fair? Those are the measure of a professional photojournalist IMO.

When I do commercial work I hold myself to certain professional standards. These also are more about business practices than they are about the product.

Suppose someone hires me to photograph their family vacation. This is becoming more common with the affluent. Of course they want pictures of which they will be proud. They want an eye and training they don't have. More than that they want discretion, privacy, integrity and hard work. In a word trust.

I once heard a very smart man define it this way. "A professional is someone who thinks of the client first, last and always." If you see a doctor, who do you want him to put first? You of course. Lawyer? Same thing. Accountant? Same. And these are all examples of professionals. I kinda like that as a working definition.

One thing is certain. All one has to do is look at the pictures posted to this forum to realize that the ability to take good photos is not even remotely limited to "professionals". The work done by amateurs here sets the bar way higher than the vast majority of commercial projects demand.

It's always interesting to see the varied responses to the questions that initially seem to have such simple answers. There is a difference between what "professional" implies and what it, in actuality, is. Using the professional baseball structure here in the U.S. as an analogy, we have Single A, Double A, Triple A, and Major League organizations. Members of each are considered "professional" baseball players because their livelihoods are based on playing baseball. Obviously though, there is a huge difference in the skill levels involved. I can do a job for someone, and they might describe the result as "professional" (highly unlikely), but I'd only be considered a pro if that's how I made my living. On the other hand, I could earn my living from photography, and do a job that the customer describes as "amateurish." But that doesn't make me an amateur (at least not until I produce too many amateurish results and can no longer find paid work).

One wonders if on plumbing dot net folks ask the same questions. Maybe folks argue about wax bowl rings, if one is a professional when scouping out poop, what snake "pros" use, whether to charge more for a emergency leak repair at midnight. If the leak is roof related, the pro plumber might recomend a pro roofer, to fix the ill flashing, leaky valleys, rotten vent/stink pipe boots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
My photography lecturer answered this question by saying that the 'A' for automatic on the camera setting dial stands for amature. I take this for meaning that a professional takes control of as many aspects of the shoot as posable - it as nothing to do with have the most expencive camera, and everything to do with using your mind to it's best.