Using old, slow cameras with today's films

terry_m1

I just bought a Rolleiflex 2.8 A Model 2 camera, manufactured in 1950, with a

Zeiss 2.8 lens. The obvious problem: The maximum shutter speed this camera

allows is only 1/200th of a second. Does this mean I have to pull 100, 125,

400, and higher speed films to perhaps ISO 25 or 50, or use slow speed films,

in bright sun? Thanks for the education and edification you can provide!

Well, guys, I again checked this 1950 camera and the mulled button on the right below the viewing lens only turns to 1/200th of a second, ending up resting at the right edge of the second 0 in '200'. So, my initial thought is that that reflects both the age of this Rollei (1950) and the lack of high-speed films at that time. Heck, I consulted my book titled "Rolleiflex Guide" by W.D. Emanuel from 1957 and it reveals films in the 50s maxing out at ISO 250 except for a film called 'Hypan', ISO 400, which might have been a super contrasty film used only for specific, special purposes, and Ilford's black and white "H.P.S." film, whatever that was. On the color side, the book mentions only one speed of 100, "Super Anscochrome" and no others beyond that speed. So, am I indeed stuck with a slow camera maxing out at 1/200th of a second? It appears to be true, and I cannot find any details in this regard about this specific Rollei model throughout the Web.

Efke/adox 100. Pan-F+, There are too many to list.. I have this beautiful Sears Tower camer top shutter speed 125th. but the stops go to F-32. also there are ND filters.... Shoot a roll of Elite chrome 100 through it..... Gold 200 at 100 looks great..... or even shoot some gold 100 at 80 E.I.. I recently shot a roll of Classic Pan 200 through my ols Ansco sure flash I pulled the developement about 20% and that was good enough for a 6x9 box camera with a shutter speed of about 50th of a second.

Larry<div>00HWE3-31520484.jpg.241d0330e1aaeb37d8752994c9dd97ff.jpg</div>

Dear Terry,

You don't get 'super contrasty' high-speed films, at least when developed to ASA standards, and HPS was Ilford's standard super-fast film, much like Delta 3200 today.

Remember too that until about 1960, B+W films had a one-stop safety factor built in. When this was taken out, film speeds doubled overnight, i.e. ASA 250 became ASA 500 and indeed HPS went to 800.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

With neg films a one stop overexposure is better than box speed, and a two stop overexposure is rarely a problem. Certainly much better than underexposure.

I use a Rolleiflex SL66 with a max aperture of f2.8 and I don't remember going faster than 1/250 ever. In fact I don't think I've gone faster than 1/125 actually. I use 400 film, call it 200, and meter generously.

I read the section in "Rollei Guide" that describes the various models, and mine is obviously the 1950 Rollei Automat. However, the paragraph describing its features states "has an 8 cm Tessar f 2/8 and a larger Compur shutter with a top speed of 1/400 sec." Hmmm...either mine has a defect in that it won't allow me to set the shutter speed beyond 1/200th of a second or this was an unusual release maxed out at that shutter speed. I doubt the latter and suspect the former. Damn--I spoke with a Rollei repairman yesterday and was bummed out by his admission that he is so swamped with repairs that he his behind 3 months and if I sent mine to him I wouldn't get it back for at least that long!

I believe all these answers have made things too complex for the simple question.

The only problem you have here is the lack of a light meter. If you use a light meter (or a modern camera with a light meter built in to it), and set the ISO of the film your are using on the meter, then you simply calculate the f stop to use with the shutter speed you have chosen�or visa-versa.

A cameras age has nothing to do with modern film, or speed limitations. You may be limited by too much light, but that can be controlled with ND filters, or just shooting in the shade whenever possible, or early in the day, or late in the day.

Just remember that photography is an art, and the camera and film are simply tools that you need to use to get the result you are looking for.

If all else fails, look for the sunny 16 rule, and compensate your f-stop and exposure.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck

Tim

Wonderful: Someone at another Web site posted a response to my inquiry re not being able to set the shutter speed to 400 by stating that this is possible, indeed, only if the film has not been advanced to the next shot. If the camera had been sold with a manual, of course, I would have found the answer inside it. So, bless the Web for occasional factual findings! Yay!

<<< Wonderful: Someone at another Web site posted a response to my inquiry re not being able to set the shutter speed to 400 by stating that this is possible, indeed, only if the film has not been advanced to the next shot. If the camera had been sold with a manual, of course, I would have found the answer inside it. So, bless the Web for occasional factual findings! Yay! >>>

I had a feeling there wasn't a problem. Usually the old TLR's, the first thing to act up is the slow-speed shutter settings.

There are manuals online for the Rolleis. Don't have a URL handy, but a Google search should point you to some.