Rodinal - Minimum Concentrate Amount?

jeff_schroeder

I've just starting using Rodinal 1+50 with Delta 100 in both 35mm and 120. Is there a minimum amount of concentrate required? For the 120 I mix 9ml. with 450ml. water and this fills my 16oz. tank. But if I want to mix approximately 8oz. of solution for 35mm./36 exposure will 4 to 4 1/2ml. of Rodinal be enough? Thanks for your responses.

I generally consider 1 ml Rodinal concentrate per sheet of 4x5 film

to be adequate. Since a 36 exposure roll of 35mm is roughly

equivalent to a sheet of 8x10 (4 sheets 4x5), I would say that, yes,

4 ml's would be about right. Anyway, I have developed INNUMERABLE

rolls of 36 exposure film in my day, many, many of them in Rodinal

1:50, and never had any problems. Go for it.

<p>

http://www.ravenvision.com/rvapeter.htm

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone. Keep this little tid-bit in mind. 135-36 and 120 film are within 10% surface area (approx 80 in/sq). Each will require the "same" amount of ANY developer to get equal results. Although I presently use the PMK-Pyro soups, Rodinal was a long time favorite of mine. Select the amount of Rodinal (and it's associated developing time) in a 1:100 ratio for the 450cc tank. Use this amount for 35mm, 120mm or (4) sheets of 4x5 film (I develope 35mm film in a 450cc tank with equal size PVC pipe spacers above/below the reel). Depending upon your results, increase/decrease the total amount of Rodinal (or any other developer chemical for that matter) in 10% incriments and observe the results. Times could also be changed, but do not change both at the same time.

Good Luck and Enjoy, Bill