tonal quality is such an important aspect of B&W images that I simply

could not see past that. Yet, people talk about this book like it's

great and no one mentions the poor print quality. I truly found them

<i>maybe</i> one notch better than Xerox copies! If this is the

result I'd much rather see the images online than with such poor

quality in a book.<p>

Firstly, does anyone else agree with me on this regarding Lulu's

quality of printing? Second, is there any self-publishing options

out there that produce anyting close to acceptable B&W images?

Thanks for Richard for sharing your experiences with Lulu. I have been interested in having my own book printed by them and was also wondering about the results. I too have heard great comments about Lulu but after hearing about your story, I'm having second thoughts about it now.

<p>

Sorry that I can't help you with any opinions but I would also be interested in hearing other people's comments on Lulu.

Richard,<p>

Contrary to your experience, I've purchase 2 books of B+W photos from LuLu (<i>Bleak Is Beautiful</i> & <i>Rangefinder Photography</i>,<br> and have found the printing and tonal quality in both books to be very good.<br>

No, they're not the tri-tone or quad-tone photos seen in very expensive photo books,<br> but on the other hand, they're not in the least of the terrible quality one finds in books published back in the 60's.<p>

Perhaps you should contact the folks at LuLu and see if you can obtain a far better copy to replace yours.<p>

Cheers!

Richard,<p>

<i> "...either I have much better expectations or I got a bum printing! ;-)"</i><p>

Or it could be both! :-)<p>

Since LuLu does "on-demand printing", their output could be similar to what was known regarding the quality of Kodak's color print processing during the summer months.<br>

Many moons ago while working for a small camera store... we knew not to send our good customer's or our own personal processing that might be done over the weekends.<br>

That was the time when the summer help (inexperienced?) would be running the machines, and most often than not, the results were far from perfect.<p>

Just a thought.<p>

Please let us know how it goes getting a replacement.<p>

Cheers!

Thanks for your further thoughts Bob. I apologize though. I should have said <i>higher</i> not <i>better</i> expectations. The first time that sounded a bit rude and pompous.<p>

Well, I ordered the rangefinderforum book. I think it's more "toned" and sepia-like B&W and done in the lulu color mode. So, we'll see. I took another look at the other one I bought just to give another chance in my mind. It's as bad as ever. I forgot to mention blotched, mottled shadows as well. Perhaps it was a bad printing after all.

• 4 weeks later...

Richard, if you're Mac-based, try making a book under the iPhoto bookmaking software. If

PC-based, try mypublisher.com.

I've done a handful of books with the former - inlcuding B&W and have been really pleased.

It's true offset lithography. When I show them to people, many want to buy them.

www.citysnaps.net

• 2 weeks later...

I've just looked at Lulu for printing a book for myself only (and family). I don't think I expect the pictures to be perfect but more for illustration (i want text as well). I have tried mypublisher and was very pleased with the pictures but I wish they had more options in regards to jackets. I don't like the front cover having hole showing the picture on the first page. The idea of having a cover likeon a "real" book is appealing to me. I don't know if mypublisher will offer that.

-- Christina