Retreiving the Leader without any tools

I've done it by licking the emulsion side of the leader of roll of b&w film. It will stick to the leader of the roll you need to retreive and you can pull it out. The posistion of the leader inside the film canister is important to getting it to stick and being able to pull it out through the slot.

I totally agree with the last posting. I have successfully done it this way several times. The plastic should be as thin as possible yet sturdy. Glue a piece of double-sided adhesive tape approx. 1/ inch long, and press the plastic piece into the slot of the cartridge with the tape to the center. Now turn the spool as if you would rewind the film further. After one turn maximum (does not make sense to turn more) you should feel a resistance when the film end has stuck to the tape.

I knew I should have checked here first before I just totally ruined my last roll of Kodachrome 64 trying to retrieve the leader!<p>How NOT to do it: open it up in a change bag. Get totally frustrated because the new Kodak cans don't allow the caps to go back on once you've taken them off. Consider putting the film into generic bulk film reloading cassettes. Get frustrated with the whole thing and throw the film out.

"the new Kodak cans..."

Kodak made the switch to crimped cassettes in 1965. Don't let anybody know!

I haven't seen a plastic retriever (sic); mine is thin metal. I haven't used it much since going digital. I like the idea of leaving the leader out when rewinding. Not only do you never need a retriever, you can shoot a whole roll of double exposures without any special effort.

Another technique I've used is to take a piece of Dymo tape and roll it up inside the cassette, then pull it out with the leader. This works like a charm every time, but the tape only lasts for a few attempts. I recently ordered a cheap Kalt leader retriever, and it's nice and easy to use.