This will probably bring in a lot of interesting opines (which is what I want),

so here goes--

I use everything from 4x5 to 8x10 (OK, 35mm and 120 too) and with my Agfa 100

nearly gone in sheets and Ilford FP4 and especially HP5 getting a bit expensive

to replace, I'm planning on using Efke (and possibly Forte or Arista) films for

my sheet work, and probably stick to Ilford PanF/FP4 or Agfa 100 for 120. In

researching the "info" available for the Efke 25, 50 and 100 films, there is no

precise recommendation for lighting, contrasts etc. except to definitely NOT

pull the film. Rather curious.... but there's still FP4 and Fomapan for that.

I'd actually like to use the Efke 25 and 100 if the films offer particular

advantages, such as really fine grain in the 25, but that may not be a big issue

with the larger formats (I'd even go a bit faster for the 5x7 and 8x10). I know

the cost is quite reasonable with these so here are the essential questions:

1. Is there a significant difference in grain, sharpness and user friendliness

between the three Efke films, and the equivilants in Arista or Forte?

2. Is one or another better for scanning on flatbed or drum scanners.

3. Any advantages as far as contrast ranges and their control. I traditionally

use Agfa Rodinal at fairly high dilutions, 1:50 --> 1:200 and well spaced

agitation to add to the compensating effect, and occasionally the Formulary's

TFX-2 for the same reasons. I don't use other developers except for 35mm film,

and then only rarely in B&W.

4. Any serious quality control issues compared to the Arista films?

And who might have some great reviews on these films?

THANX

I use fp4 and efke 25 for 6x7 and 4x5, 8x10 soon hopefully. I can't comment on efke 50

or 100 but i've seen some fine contact prints from the 100 souped in pyro.

The efke 25 isn't good in my case for normal sunny day stuff. The shadows block up, fp4

is just better. In low contrast or overcast scenes, it's outstanding in tonality when souped

in rodinal. The print is pretty much the same. Most of the time i don't like how the

scanner handles efke 25 midtones though. Not much for grain to focus on either.

On the other hand, efke films are very prone to scratches and other nasties. I seem to

have more retouching to do with prints from this stuff. Care must be taken when handling

wet emulsion as it will rub off. I get surge marks with my 4x5 stuff on this film on the

edges in open sky areas when using hanger development. I wouldn't try trays 'cuz of but

that's me. The forte 400 is a great sheet film and seems to handle expansion& contraction

well for me. Lots of latitude. Very nice, thick film.

The opening shot on my website is efke 25 scanned on my imacon. I've got many more

prints to post but not the free time lately.

http://www.vinnywalsh.com

If you like your Rodinal in high dilutions, you'll love Efke 25 and 100. The higher diltuions (1+100 and higher) will keep the contrast of Efke 25 under control.

I use both in 120, 9x12cm and 4x5" format. Both scan very well. Efke 25 pushes quite well (I found that out when I metered it at 100....). You'd be hard pressed to find any grain in the 25, at least in 6x6 or larger.

I also like Efke 100, and use this along with APX100 as my normal ISO100 film.

I've not had any QC problems. In roll film format, both can be a little curly depending on developer and drying conditions (I found they curled less in Diafine than Rodinal for some reason).

In my estimation, Efke films are overpriced compared to Arista Edu Ultra (Foma). Efke does not have the same level of QC Foma does, and is plagued by soft emulsions and inconsistency between emulsion batches. If you're considering a second tier film, I'd recommend Foma/Arista Edu Ultra over Efke or Forte/Arista Edu.

Jay

I've never had a defective batch of Efke film. As for FOMA, you would be advised to check

this thread on APUG.org:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18795&highlight=defective+foma

JandC are offering a one year replacement warranty on all of their ADOX/Efke films sold in

the U.S. That does not sound like defective QC to me. Efke/ADOX films, especially the ISO

25 and ISO 50 have very unique spectral responses and subperb reciprocity characteristics

for long exposures. Compare the price of Ilford Pan F with that of the slower Efke films

and they are a good value.<div>00I7xW-32500284.jpg.95c0e114daba820db50c6ef2d48e16d6.jpg</div>

First of all, I was quite impressed with the images either posted or linked to. And yes, I do like to use the higher dilutons of Rodinal, especially with the contrastier films like PanF, and when the scenes themselves push the limits of the film (I outgrew D-76 and the like a while ago in all but 35mm). FP4 is a great film for any format but especially for MF and LF which is what I mostly do now, and its ability to capture a huge span of lighting conditions is remarkable. I do miss Agfa 25 in rolls and especially 100 in sheets but the Efke films look like winners in most sizes. I'm aware of the usually minor QC issues in what Jay calls "second tier" products, but the cost of big sheets of film is getting tough to swallow. Arista and Foma offer other films of interest, and this thread is meant to uncover as much new information for me as possible on current "2nd tier" roll and sheet films, so keep it coming.

Thanks!

Efke films are branded as Adox, but the Adox CHM125 and CHM400 films , according to the Retrophotographic website, 'originate in England and have the same developing times as FP4 and HP5..........!'

They are cheaper than their branded versions, and a bit less well packed, but the film itself is as good as you might expect.

Nick