film curling

Mine do too just after drying but after they have lain (laid?) in my print file book for a while

under a little pressure, and usually by the time I print them, they have flattened out. They

lay in my negative carrier quite flat. I haven't experimented but I suspect that, by the next

day after drying them, they are quite flat just by the fact that they are flattened by lying in

the negative file pages. Making a concerted effort to lay them very flat under pressure

overnight will probably do the trick.

Here is a tip I was given a while back and it works - if you're using a stainles steel reel.

After the final rinse (with wetting agent), I take the film off the reel. The I put it back on, this time with the emulsion side out. I let it dry on the reel. It really does help. I've seen mentioned that some roll the film up, again emulsion site out, and keep it like that "for a while" after it has dried hanging. I've never done that, but the principle is the same.

Cheers,

I realize that what Edward says hits the nail on the head. I recently did some film tests and

just noticed that they are perfectly flat without having been put in sleeves or under

pressure. I never took the time to notice this effect before, thanks for raising the issue.

"my Fujichromes always come back curled from processing"

It all depends on the lab where you have your films processed. A good lab will give your film time to dry. Poor labs are just interested in the $$$$ and put them in sleeves right after they are processed in oder to process more to earn even more $$$$, avoid those labs.

Kodak and Ilford films have a good reputation for drying flat. Can't say the same about some other brands. The Chinese made Lucky Pan films are the worst in my experience. They never flatten.

Hang the film to dry with a weight on the bottom and leave it there, overnight if necessary. No need to press it flat under a weight. It will be flat when it's completely dry.

The agfa apx400 20 exp. rolls I have shot curl the length of the film which I find odd.

The ilford fp4+ curls the other way as I would expect - with the roll. The agfa is quite bad after hanging overnight to dry - but isn't too bad after a couple of days under the phone book.

I've tried everything to remedy this problem from running a hot shower during the drying process, laying heavy books directly on the negs. to hanging weights (heavy brass padlocks) and my KODAK film always curls. I was going to post this very question on this board today. I just experimented with Agfa APX100 in hopes it was the film but got the same curls.

I will try Curls suggestion and reload my ss reels with the emulsion side out and let them dry. If that doesn't work, I'll just live my all my curled negs. They seem to scan fine. Thanks for asking the question. Any more tips?

"when i send it to paris, to a professional, my uncle the negs are flat. so how can i fix this?"

uhh... move to paris? seriously. it's a well known fact that the water in the Seine contains a rare enezyme that causes film to dry completely flat. sounds crazy, i know. but that's only because i just made it up.

my recommendation would probably be that you hang a weight at the bottom of the roll to force it to stay straight. i've also heard that rapid drying with a (gasp) hair dryer will help, but i've never tried that.

the only film i've ever used that consistently curls like a mofo (to the point of being difficult to work with) is HIE. Anyone else have this experience?