Efke 25,50

Hi Marko,

I've still got 2 fresh rolls of 35mm Efke (Adox) 25 iso film in my freezer. Both 36 exposures and both with expiration date 07/2008. If you want you buy them from me, just drop me an email and we'll work it out, I'll make you a good price.

Marko,

IMO, it seems your're all over the place when it comes to film & chemistry. Experimentation is the only way you will ever learn anything, (as everyone's opinion is different).

But what I WILL suggest, is find 1 film and chemistry combination, and stick with it. Learn how to make it do what you want, before you move onto another.

The Efke 25 and 50 will be far too slow for you to shoot with as a 1st timer, not only due the fact their speed is a bit off (25=10, and 50=30). Also, if you have to ask me what that last sentence means, it just proves my point.

while resarching for other info, I came accross a adox site in canada.

apparently he manufactures the film there, but cannot sell it as adox in the usa. should be a place to buy it "up north"

I think "frugal photographer "distributes under another name in the usa.

Adox / Efke is sold in the US by J&C photo. Very good dealer but frequently in short supply. I've shot when available since the 60's when it was Adox KB 14. I also have used KB 17 / 100 and don't like it nearly as much as my standard, Ilford Delta 100 in 1:31 Ilford HC.

I rate my KB 25 at 25 and bet stunnign results for my diffusion Ilford head. Try a test roll at various ISO's and be very carefull not to over process. It will build contrast like a rocket.

http://www.photo.net/photos/X-Ray

Hi Joe,

Efke speed a bit of sounds odd. If any film, the Efkes are not overrated.

Compared to shooting TMX on 64 you can definitly shoot Efke 25 at 25.

Of course depending on developer, i.e. Pyro is slow anyway. Everybody should do his tests anyway. I.e. the new Moersch staining devs (Tanol) as well as other highly diluted combos, loose speed with hard water significantly.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

I gave my determined 'speeds' using a Rolleiflex 3.5E and Rodinal. After shooting for over 30+ years, I don't use a meter at all, but run a series of tests to get what I want out of a film/developer combination.

A film's 'speed' means nothing to me, as I expose to achieve critical focusing, whether using the Lumedynes or not. However using them increases DoF-critical focusing immensly.

Marko,

Don't be intimidated by some of what you read - experimenting with film is fun, and ISO 25 films are not hard to shoot. Sticking with one film and "learning what it can do for you" is just one opinion. I like to try all different kinds of film, just for the sake of trying it.

I do not intend any disrespect to any of the pros on photo.net, but I see a lot of beginners getting a lot of bad advice on here. Telling someone that ISO 25 is too difficult for someone to use is not only an insult, it's also untrue. I see this comment a lot in regards to slide film as well, and it's baloney - I was shooting Pan X (and slide film) in a camera without a meter when I was in the 8th grade. I'm tired of hearing pros tell people they're not smart enough to set the camera's meter to ISO 25.

If a person is shooting a particular film for the first time, they should shoot it at the rated ISO speed, especially if they are a beginner. There's plenty of time for experimentation later.

I'm not sure of any place in Canada selling it, but Freestylephoto.biz sells it. I tried the 100 and like it very much in Perceptol. Actually, I may pick up some bulk.

Box rated speed is just a starting point. Once you find a film that has the characteristics that you like, tweaking it to your camera/film/developer is next. Gotta start somewhere.

I did the whole round of films as well; heck, I still am. If nothing else, it's fun.