Nikon D-100 Print size question and help needed.

vincent_bell1

New to most of this so here goes. I shot a team photo that I would like to present to the

local High School. I would like the photo to be printed to the largest size possible {within

reason, nothing over 30x40, keeping the photo as clear and non pixelated as possible.

This photo will either be kept in the trophy case or hung in a area where thousands of

people will look at it very closley. I would like recomendations of size of the print,

possible print types..IE ..paper, matted, boarded, anything that would present the photo

with impact and that will last for many years. ALOS...where do I need to send this photo

file to? Who will doe the best job and give me something that looks great when done. A

little backgound on the photo. I took it right after my local High School won thier first

ever State Softball title. It is a great shot, so I just want some ideas. I want the team,

parents, students and fans to go WOW when they see it. Thanks for you help!!

The D100 is 6MP correct? You always shoot in RAW as well, correct?

A 12x18 inch print will look beautiful from just 2 feet away. That same image will look obviously pixelated at 40 inches wide from just a couple feet away. Using special software techniques you can enlarge your digital negative to produce a nice looking 40 inch wide print but will take some large skill on your part or on a lab's. If you need more info on large prints I would urge you to read the Digital Darkroom forum.

There's something you need to understand, resolution is all dependent upon how close or far you will view the print. If you have ever seen a billboard photo close up you'll know that sometimes the pixels can be an inch or two wide. But it doesn't matter becuase it's being viewed from atleast 50 feet if not alot more. The general rule is that a print should be viewed from a distance of twice the diagonal of the print. if you want a 30x40. that's about 9-10 feet. If that's how far this print will be viewed that don't worry about too much. Just sharpen the image before your print it until it looks oversharpened on your monitor. Not too excessively though. Stay away from large gloss prints, too much reflection. If you really want to get into things you could download the trial version of genuine fractals. A resampling program with better algorithyms than photoshop for upsizing an image. If I were you I would mount, not matte the photograph. framing a picture that big will be way too expensive. anyway I hope this helps