Can somene please tell me if there are any smaller manufacturers

that produce professional quality color film, either slide film or

print film?

By professional quality I means something that can measure with Fuji

and Kodak color films.

I know there are a lot of alternatives for BW film, like Efke or

Ilford, but what about color film?

thank you

The investment required to compete is so high, that it's becoming pretty much Fuji and Kodak for color film. Agfa isn't doing so well, did a management buyout, very small market share outside Europe. I think Ferrania is in bad shape. Maco sells some color films, not sure which of them they make. Oh, yes, Konica makes color films, including some professional portrait films.

The only Ferrania I've seen here in the states is 200 print film, a dollar-store staple. It's pretty sharp, but my local lab has trouble getting realistic color out of it, and I haven't done much better scanning. If you like the look of the buttons in Windows XP, or are nostalgic for Tele Tubby land, this might be the film for you, but professional quality it is not.

Konica-Minolta makes a handfull of professional films. Their slide film (Chrome R-100) was horrible the last time I tried it, but I've read that they make better slide films which aren't available in the U.S. but are available elsewhere. Their color print films are quite good for the most part. My favorite is Centuria Super 1600 -- best ultra-high-speed color print film I've found -- but it's 35mm only. Impresa 50 was certainly impressive, but it has been discontinued. You may be able to find it online or in countries other than the U.S.

Other than that, Agfa is really the only alternative if you want a pro-quality alternative to Kodak and Fuji.

I've tried Konica chrome film because it is the cheapest chrome film I have ever seen, so I thought I'd have a try.

Shadows are greenish (because Dmax is kind of green in color and not neutral) and it is grainy compared to others. I've only tried it on snow this winter, so I don't know how good is it with colors of nature

Try Konica Minolta Professional 160 for anything you've got with people and if you're using a flash. Awesome film. Compared very favorable to Fuji 160 NPS (I thought Konica was better) and Kodak Portra 160.<BR>

I'm going to try some of their regular 100 iso and see how it compares to Reala when I get a chance.<BR>

Jed