Hello,

I live in Santa Barbara, and I am hoping to do some day trips in the next

couple of weeks. I am very familiar with the SB area "south coast," but not

the SLO area "north coast." I was hoping to get some suggestions for locations

on the north coast. Oceano is one I am considering, but I am worried that I

won't be able to get away from the OHVs. Any other suggestions in the area for

landscape/seascape shooting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Andrew<div>00H7gp-30886984.jpg.71141ea9d22bdc86cbc73a25f7f1b93a.jpg</div>

You can easily escape the RVs and off road vehicles if you visit the Ocean Dunes - find your way to the Pacific Dunes Riding Stables, off Highway 1, in the little community of Oceano.

Park away from the front of the stables and walk up through the RV park on the hill above you. There are openings out onto the wilderness portion of the dunes through the gate on the west side of the RV park (these are the dunes photographed so dramatically by Weston, in black and white, back in the 1930s).

Off roaders have section of the dunes, to the south, open to them and driving a vehicle on the beach is legal, but the heart of the dunes, stretching for some miles, is only open to hikers and those on horseback.

Hope to see more on this post since we're gonna be in Oceano over the 4th of July weekend (assuming my wife les me escape from the kids that is:-) )& I also no very little about the area except for Hearst Castle. Only other thing that comes to my mind would be Morro Bay? Nice little fishing-boat harbor + that huge rock... could be nice

This is probably further north than you have in mind (25 miles north of Eureka), but was one of our favorite locales for beautiful Cal coast = Patrick Point SP. There are a lot of access points by way of trails.

Keep it in mind for when you are in the area sometime. :)

Ok, here's another: Santa Rosa Creek Road, out of Cambria. Follow it as far as the little farmstead, Linn's, about five miles up the canyon - check out the mini Ollaliberry pies.

If you continue up the road, there are some commanding views, and some amazing twists and turns to photograph as you look back down from the top of the road, before it drops off the other side.<div>00H7lt-30888584.jpg.5ceaa8cc956e6e3d1e128d87b69bf850.jpg</div>

Dave, thanks for the Santa Rosa Creek Rd. suggestion as well. Concerning Montana de Oro SP, would you recommend sticking to the beach or to a trail like the "Bluffs Trail?" Also, are there sections of the beach that are impassable at high tide? Do you have any info regarding Oso Flaco Lake near Guadalupe? The description in my "Hiking California" book sounds pretty interesting. Thanks again for all of the help. Andrew<div>00H7op-30889584.jpg.451335c3c28cdfb9195f2ca440cf34e1.jpg</div>

>would you recommend sticking to the beach or to a trail like the "Bluffs Trail?"<

You'd want to do the bluff - you can actually park at the beach a Spooner's Cove, near the park campground and little visitor center. The bluff trail will take you a mile or so along the coast, and drop you at times at little beaches, as well as past some terrific geology.

>Also, are there sections of the beach that are impassable at high tide?<

It's really not one long beach - the main beach at Spooner's Cove is always safe. There are a series of beaches in the park. You do have to watch the tide if you are out in some of the coves, but in general, it's not a problem - you'll see if you go there.

>Do you have any info regarding Oso Flaco Lake near Guadalupe? The description in my "Hiking California" book sounds pretty interesting.<

It's interesting, but for me less so since a bridge was put in across the lake - I understand both to preserve the shoreline as well as serve people who like to fish. But it's an interesting area and you can cut through the dunes to the sea. If I'n not mistaken, the dune buggy area isn't that far away and you can come back with some interesting photos if you like that sort of thing. You can also head over to the Guadalupe Dunes, west of the town of Guadalupe; there's an estuary for the Santa Maria River (usually pretty low), sometimes lots of birds, and even a "lost city" of the Pharaohs, reputedly a buried movie set from the '20s - debris is actually visible, but I doubt much else, rumors to the contrary (do a google search).

Guadalupe is an interesting town - settled, I think, by Swiss and Italians - the cemetery bears the names of European, Asian and Hispanic immigrants, and the town must have a dozen Mexican restaurants - lots of them good! - in a stretch of three blocks, and there's the Far Western tavern, another great place to visit after you've finished your photography.

Really, there are too many places to visit on the central coast.

You might, if you like to hike, consider Pt. Sal, not that far south of the Guadalupe Dunes - the county no longer maintains the road, although you can walk in. This would be a bit ambitious, but it's an awesome location, not well known.

Much easier to the north, a little past the turnoff to Hearst Castle, you can probably view numerous sub adult elephant seals - they are usually found near the big parking lot just south of the Piedras Blancas Lighthouse. Ask around if you visit San Simeon - there are a couple of places to view the seals.<div>00H7qk-30890084.jpg.b3cbc8d727e5948e7bf6116a4c086cbf.jpg</div>

Dave, thanks for the thorough response. I have driven through the area several times, but I am always heading to points further north and east. I figured it was about time to explore closer to home. I have stopped and watched the seals a few times before. Your responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andrew<div>00H7si-30890884.jpg.c4ac343ca1bfa2a58833efe3d71d9a3b.jpg</div>

Now that Joe's tooted his own horn, I'll toot mine - I've got a book out about California backroads, including some in the central coast - probably not a thorough as Joe's piece, but there are photos and some text - check your library (and/or it makes a great holiday gift!).

Guadalupe Dunes, also if you can get on Vandenberg, the wreckage of 7 destroyers that went aground in 1923 at Honda Point/Point Pedernales may be visible. I have no idea how much is left or what restrictions may be in place though.

Also I'd agree, from Montana de Oro then the Morro Bay estuary and Morro Rock are great opportunities. The beach from Morro Bay to Cayucos is long and pretty but the real spectacular settings begin again as you return to the beach at Cambria, then north through San Simeon, Piedras Blancas, etc. eventually to Big Sur.

I had a chance to explore the area fairly well while shooting my <a href="http://www.enlightphoto.com/books.htm">California Coast book</a>. Since then, I'm also a huge fan of the <a href="http://www.enlightphoto.com/webpages/cacstc/cstc01.htm">Morro Bay to San Simeon</a> region as well. If I had to pick only one place, it would be Montana del Oro SP; it has everything from hills, cliffs, dunes, and both sand and rocky beaches. - BTW, It's just really odd hearing someone call it the "North Coast". Happy shooting.<br>

<br>

Gary Crabbe<br>

<a href="http://www.enlightphoto.com">Enlightened Images</a><br>

<a href="http://www.enlightphoto.com/views">Enlightened Images Views</a><br>

Thanks for the responses. Gary, the local news here in SB always refers to the SLO area as the "north coast", the SB area as the "central coast", and the Ventura area as the "south coast". I will definitely have to head to the bookstore this weekend to check out the different books and articles you guys have written. Thanks again for the input. Andrew

Aside from the fact that the north coast is 500 miles north of you, Morro Bay is one of my favorite places on the planet. I've been going there since I was a kid. I think the best time to shoot there is sunrise and early morning as there's no cars or people wandering around except for fishermen. It's so peaceful. I'd recommend renting a kayak and bring a telephoto lens so you can catch the wildlife in the harbor. All around us there were fish leaping out of the water followed by hungry sea lions. Pelicans were dive bombing near us too. Kayak Horizons has good customer service and a good deal. </p>

Montana de Oro is great too. In the spring time there's a lot of yellow flowers around there. Cambria is a nice relaxing place to spend the weekend if you want to take it easy. Most of the motels are along Moonstone Beach. The OHV was an experience but too rowdy for my tastes. The coolest part was driving my car into the tide to get there. I got stuck at one point. </p>

Have a good trip,</p>

<a href="http://www.rwongphoto.com">www.rwongphoto.com</a>