Leica M8-Dead of the film cameras

havenornirvana

nope. i think film cameras will still be used, esp for B&W photography. People didnt stop

painting when cameras were invented. i think it will become an 'artists' medium. which fits

perfectly with the leica philosophy. and if any camera manufacturer were to stop making

film cameras Leica would (or should) be the last.

I agree with the last poster: There is no way that film is dead, especially in the field of black & white fine art photography. B/W images taken digitally just do not look the same, as long as there are those of us who will buy enough film and chemicals, there will still be traditional photography in existence for many years to come, if not forever. Regards, John.

I was actually about to post the opposite proposal. Perhaps the M8 will ensure that film survives, not because the M8 is anything other than great, but simply because it will show that even with absolutely all other things being equal: similar rangefinder, same lenses, almost exactly the same form, the film camera is simpler in operation and has less battery dependence such that if you can wait to develop your pictures, the film camera is an attractive alternative. We've already seen many Leica M users (me included) make it clear that they have found AF super Nikon and Canon film SLRs to be no substitute for the film M. While the M8 brings the convenience of digital closer to the style of shooting that M film users enjoy, it can not duplicate the simplicity of the film M. Furthermore, it may take a long time for Leica or anyone to perfect a sensor to use very small side angle lenses so that as much as I would love to have an M8 with the new wide tri-elmar, it is not at all the same kind of package as my M6 with the VC 15mm, for example.

I don't think so, even though the M8 seems to be very well constructed, it will never outlast the average mechanical film M, simply because of the electronics inside.

So the M8 will finish of the traditional film camera? They said that too when the first high-class digital slr's started too appear a couple of years ago.

A simple mechanical Leica M body is still far superior to any digital camera in terms of simplicity. There is just no way such a simple camera can be reproduced in a digital format even though the M8 comes close.

I've made this comparision more than once but I'll do it again. Did the vinyl record die when the CD was introduced?? Nope, I still own a record player and I can assure you there is a booming vinyl community out there.

Why? Because the CD and the vinyl record are two different mediums, each having their own specific characteristics. The only thing they have in common is that the are designed to play you some music.

The same applies to film and digital. different mediums, each having their own specific characteristics. The only thing they have in common is that the are designed to record a photograph.

35mm film is available today, tomorrow and for a long time to come. The death knoll has allegedly been ringing for almost a decade now. True, it will be a small market, maybe a very small market, but it's will be available. And if twenty years from now its not readily available, well, I just hope I'm around in 20 years. Until then, there's no reason to abandon ship unless you want to go digital.

Digital is not all that it's crack up to be. I hate working on computers and the mechanical nature of the Ms was one of the reasons I started using a Leica all those years ago.

"sales of SLR film cameras are in the basement. How much longer manufacturers will continue to produce them remains to be seen." I wonder how many are actually in production right now. I suspect none -it will just take several years to deplete the inventory to the point where they are officially discontinued.

Sure, everyone is going to run out and spend 5K on a camera body and another 2K on a computer powerful enough to run the new software and another 1K on the software and another 2K on a printer. Let me add that up - 10K to go digital and if things go the way they have been going with electronics I can throw all that away in 5 years and buy an entire new set. Gosh, is film dead??