Old Camera

patrick_d.

I have a family heirloom Agfa-Ansco camera.

It looks in perfect condition and I would like to see the photos it can take.

I bought some 120 film, but the roll is too short.

I Googled and found this site where someone was saying they had recently

purchased 620 film which I think is the correct film.

My question is whether and where 620 is still avialable.

I noted that someone else said that it is possible to reload 120 on a 620

roller, but then again another poster said it is difficult to find a 620

roll???

Hello, Patrick:

You can go through the trouble of bending over backwards to make 120 to fit, or just take the easy and still economical route of purchasing 620 film here:

http://www.jandcphoto.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=29

I'd recommend you try buying a roll or two to obviate personal agony and errors before deciding if you want to shoot more with that camera.

Hope this helps.

To find a 620 roll: Some sellers on ebay dump some old Kodak Brownie for less than 10 $, it's likely that some 620 spool could be found inside.

The 120 roll is not shorter than the 620, it's the opposite.What i do, is to cut one extremity of the 120 spool to fit my brownie camera, with a very big and sharp cutter. it works.

Now if the 120 film is too short I believe this camera needs another kind of film, definitely not a 620 film. Agfa Ansco, 120 should be the right size... (?)

I'm not sure if Agfa ever even made 620 cameras- I thought that was more of an American/Kodak thing.

The 620 reels are slightly smaller in diameter, and the end plates are thinner. I think if a 120 reel looks too short, a 620 reel will be more so. There should be a part that raises up in some way to allow the 120 reel in, and then lowers to wind it. Perhaps something is broken or missing in there, or maybe just isn't lowered. Normally, you can't use 120 reels in a 620 camera because the 120 reels physically will not fit in the space.

Was there an empty take-up reel in the camera? If so, how big is the center reel part? 620 is thin, maybe 1/8 or 3/16" diameter; 120 is bigger. Hold the empty take up reel end-to-end with your new 120 reel and see if the ends look the same size.

Check at B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com) or www.filmforclassics.com for 620 film (which is re-wound from 120, I think.) But I suspect that is not what you need.

I'm one that reload 120 onto 620 reels. Not sure about your camera but reloading is very easy then sending more money for 620 roll film. I would try it in day light with a dummy roll and then do it in a darkroom or changing bag. Here is a sample of my little folding pocket camera that I use when I want to have fun.<div>00I1c6-32350884.jpg.ba9fb6cc0d6b5f301b10988efe2b27d8.jpg</div>

Erik,

I had a chance to buy the last 3 bricks of it when they told me durning the time that Kodak will no longer make this film. I also got a few great deals on ebay a guy sent me 20 roll because he went digital and all I paid was the shipping. Keep your eyes open I know there's a lot still sitting in mom and pop shops.

If 620 is shorter than 120 then that's not it. The empty roller in the camera is approx. 1/4-in longer than the new 120 roll and the end is approx. 1/4-in. larger in diameter. Written on the end of the empty roller is "Kodak Film 116". Was that a now defunct film size?

I have severe doubts that an Agfa-Ansco camera was made for 620 films. At least over here in Germany where the Agfa cameras were designed and manufactured I have never seen any Agfa 620 format camera.

What's the problem with loading 120 film? How do you check that the film is too short??? BTW 620 film has exactly the same dimensions, only difference are spool dimensions.

http://www.jandcphoto.com

J and C lists both 620 and 127 films. I have seen these sizes elsewhere as well. I have a Kodak Medalist camera from 1944. I did re-spool 120 onto 620 spools for a while. Then I sent the camera to Bald Mountain in California to have the camera converted and cleaned. Since then I have used this camera frequently. It gives a very nice 6X9cm negative and the fixed 100mm lens (Kodak Ektar) is very good even by today's standards.

120 and 620 spools are slightly different, but the film is the same width, you could have a camera made for the American market that uses 620, Kodak introduced 620 film and cameras to keep people buying their film rather than "brand X". If a 120 film spool is way short then your camera uses another size like 116/616 (same concept by Kodak). The distance between flanges on 120/620 is about 2.25 inches/60mm, 616/116 is 3.5 inches/90mm and 127 is 1 5/8 inches /40mm ( dimensions approximate and done from memory!).