I'm thinking of getting a scanner (dedicated film) and can't seem to find a lot

of info on the Microtec Artix 120tf. Comments by anyone who is using one would

be appreciated. I keep hearing how good the Minolta Pro Scan is but they don't

appear to be available new in this country (aust) anymore and I have not come

across one second hand. I have seen some negative comments on photo.net about

the Nikon 8000 regarding banding problems but there doesn't seem to be a lot of

alternatives when it comes to film scanning. I want to be able to scan 120

format as well as 35mm!

I use a Nikon 8000 for scanning my 6x7 slides and negatives and have never had problems with banding. It is not the fastest scanner and the MF negative carrier that comes with it is useless ( get the glass version ), but other than that, the results are great. If you are patient, you can pick one up on e-bay for about $800.

I was thinking about purchasing the Microtec Artix 120f but had some doubts when I heard about their lousy customer service. Another thing that troubled me was the weight of the unit, 45lbs ! I opted for the Epson V750. It's a great machine at under 20lbs and the customer service is not bad.

..Minolta is defunct and Sony in't going to revive their scanners, despite their miraculous injection of quality into Minolta camera designs.

You may have heard that someone is providing service: perhaps you should confirm that directly, rather than trusting "announcements," photo.net allegations, and other urban legends. In other words, call the rumored "service center" and see if they're relatively real.

<..Minolta is defunct and Sony in't going to revive their scanners, despite their miraculous injection of quality into Minolta camera designs. >

That's a very valid point and one that indicates how readily manufacturers are willing to cut consumers loose when it is convenient to do so in the name of coorporate profit! I would dread trying to get a Minolta camera let alone a scanner repaired in this country at the moment.

POINT TAKEN! .. thanks