Films and heat

davidh

I've been a photographer for a number of years and I realize that any film is

sensitive to extremes in temp & humidity. Pro grade films more so? I know

they are more sensitive to temps when processing.

Now my question:

I am currently in Florida where it gets both hot and humid. Ordering film

from NY would likely result, even if I have it overnighted by one of the big

carriers, the film being exposed to a temperature extreme in the local truck

for at least a few hours. The same with black and white paper.

I realize that at some point the film was shipped via truck to the store, but

the big stores, do they have film shipped to them in reefer trucks?

How much of a problem would it be to buy film from NYC and have it shipped

overnight to me? Would the heat that it may experience in transit be a

problem? Since my business is based on the quality of the end print, any

degradation in quality is a bad thing, whatever the cause.

Am I being too paranoid about this?

Thanks,

David

"the big stores, do they have film shipped to them in reefer trucks?"

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Seriously, it's often hot (90-100F) here in Denver when I get film shipped from NYC (the film is often very warm to the touch when taken out of the shipping box), and it hasn't been a problem.

I really doubt any company ships any film period in reefer trucks. The amount of time the film and paper is subjected to heat is of no concern in the grand scheme of things. When it's 90+ degrees outside, you subject the film to as much heat by walking around with it loaded inside your nice black camera. Storing it in these conditions for weeks or months may be another another story. The day or two it takes to ship to you means nothing.

I have the same situation in Arizona. I often order from Adorama and UPS ignores my little sign that says "put boxes in carport please". They're always in a hurry ) I got home one day and a box of Ilford 16x20 was sitting at the front door, in the 105 degree sun. Ever seen a grown man cry over photo paper? The box was very hot to the touch. The next day it printed perfectly. Whew.

I'd be alot more worried paper would get heat-exposed more than film.

My suggestion is to order your stock "delived to person only" or for "pick-up at post office". Which means a trip to the post office, but its not riding around in the truck. Since I stock up in April, for the summer, for this very reason, I'm not sure how you'd do this technically. Maybe someone who answers the phone at Adorama, B&H, etc has dealt with this before. I'm guessing someone who orders a $8000 camera and lens doesn't want it left at the door. I wouldn't know :)

To those of you who have posted replies with real information - I thank you for the good advice.

For those who have (and are considering) posting foolishness, please don't waste my time or yours - find something better to do.

I would be more worried about fast film getting heat exposure than photo paper. I had some tri-x shipped to me in GA in the heat of summer that was fogged by something. I always assumed it was heat damaged and neither Calumet or Kodak would do anything about it. No returns on film or paper....TFB.