TRi-X at 24 degrees Celcius !

Earlier today I was speaking to an old photographer who told me to

never develop Tri-x in 20 degrees, but in 24, this would decrease the

grain, not in size but blendable tonality (freely translated from

German). I came home and tried it out, and for sure the negative looks

great, deeper, the grain is still their but indeed blends better ....

the difference is not merely minimal but sort of turns Tri-x into

another type of film .... does anybody know more about this ?

Seems to me I once developed Tri-X at 90 F -- that'd be about 32 C. Don't recall it helping the grain any, but it certainly was interesting trying to get HC-110 Dilution B into the tank, agitated, poured out, and stop bath in in under two minutes. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd surely have diluted the developer a bit more...

SP, if you're talking to me, this was about 30 years ago and I've long since lost the negatives (I did this in a boarding school dormitory room, mid-summer, with the windows covered to darken the room for printing -- which lost all ventilation). That was the same time I discovered HC-110 Dilution A could be used to develop prints (because it was all I had), and that (at least with the paper I had then -- Velox??) the HC-110 gave an extremely cold, distinctly blue tone that would convert to a rich Cordovan brown if the print was exposed to white light while in the stop bath.

I remember reading something about this before, however it was not the higher temperature that actually caused a decrease in grain but the fact that at higher temps the time in the developer was shorter. It was the time in the liquid that was actually decreasing grain. I don't have it here with me, but I believe it was in Gordon Hutchings Pyro book.......but I might be mistaken, or it might just be something that only happens with pyro based developers. I've only played around with the concept with Neopan 1600, and it does seem to reduce grain with that film in PMK Pyro if I develop at 24 to 27 C.....compared to 20C or so.

have to check when I get home tonite

FWIW, I seem to remember that the PPR (primary process recommendation) for various films using TMax developer was 75F, not 68F, and I also remember that the quality was better at the higher temp. Don't know if it's still the case, but look for the bold numbers on the chart.

Donald,

I was actually hoping to see samples from anybody. This forum is such a wealth of knowlege and is invaluable to anyone looking for development help.

-Stephen

P.S. in fact help I received here was the reason I re-upped my membership at photo.net. Now if they would only cash the check (3 months and counting).

Living in Miami, FL all these years I've been souping my film in the 24 to 27 degree range every summer for years. I mostly use D-76 1:1. I try to get all my chemicals close to the tap water temperature so there's no temperature shock from the rinse or the final wash water. The grain always seemed to be OK.