Red Plastic Dot on Leica Lens

If you live in Denmark and call the Leica distributor, then you will be told to contact an authorized dealer. The AD will have you wait 1-2 weeks (they have to order from the distributor) and will charge you the equivalent of 17 USD (+extra if you want the little half-dome mailed)!
Niels

Did you know that the red dot is the 'pyramid' of the leica lens. It exerts a special power, which can not be described by any science known to man, but which gives the Leica lens it's 'glow'.

Isn't the symbol for the highest order of the masons the red dot..?

Anyway, the lens is useless with out the red dot. Send it to me so that I can destroy it safely...

JJ

Go to a lapidary shop and look for a tiny cabochon the right size. This happened to my 50mm Summicron many years ago and I found a small Persian turquoise that's a perfect fit. A dab of glue has held it in place the past 30 years. Perhaps a little ruby if the red colour is important to you. A small synthetic ruby should cost less than the prices quoted above. If anyone notices the turquoise I tell them it's one of the very rare blue dot lenses that take sharper pictures... ;-)<div>00H1ZG-30720184.jpg.81508b59aac0b84721b2ac08b30fa255.jpg</div>

Richard, Interesting choice of words. In Holland, the current popular use of the word "pimp" (borrowed from English) has a different connotation. It is liberally used to "spice" up anything.

It becomes very awkward when Dutch folks go abroad and use it in English (forgetting the non-Dutch use) as well!

Oh my gawd! And here I could be making a fortune out of old toothbrush handles? WOW!!! Yeah, it's true. It just didn't occur to me 30 years ago to write to Leitz for another one, and I like having the "dot" so I can tell by feel if the lens is in the correct position for mounting. I took an old purple tooth brush and carved a cute multi-facetted piece of plastic the right size. A dab of epoxy and it's been there ever since. If you decide to write to Leica for one tell them which lens and include the serial number so they'll send you the correct one. They're not all the same size. Or...it's time for a new toothbrush anyway, right? The local 99 cent store had some big tubes of tooth paste with a free tooth brush, and the Postal Service wants 39 cents for just the stamp to write to Leica. Careful not to cut yourself...LOL

You guys are too much! Glad to have provided you with some material. But actually, you know, it's all about the dot. The glass is certainly no better than any other good glass - but it certainly costs more. Nice to be able to buy some used R lenses at a better price lately - makes my day but really pisses off the dealers.

Does Leitz make any deluxe epoxy?

Vivek, it has other meanings in US and UK English too! But this is what I was thinking of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimp_My_Ride

'The concept is simple - one takes a car ("ride") that is old, thought to be unfashionable, falling apart, or some combination thereof, and "pimps" it (i.e., the car is restored and customized, usually in an over-the-top fashion).'

Well, at leat Leicas generally don't fall apart...

In the good (bad) old days if you were 'hip' (pre-cool) you spent your last buck on a zoot-suit the trousers of which were worn with braces since they had no belt loops. The finishing touch was a 'pimp flap' -- the waist band extended three or four inches beyond the fly.