Leica and non-autofocus

kevinbriggs

Does anybody know why Leica does not produce autofocus cameras and lenses in the

Module R (digital SLR) series? You would think for the added expense that they

would have already produced autofocus technology that would take advantage of

this highly expensive glass.

Thanks for everyone's input!

K.

Leica caters to a niche consumer group that favors craftsmanship, collectability and simplicity. Autofocus isn't a prime concern for these folks. Truthfully, I don't know that Leica could develop an autofocus system that would out-perform Canon and Nikon. It would probably be a black eye for them to throw a second rate autofocus system on what they consider "world class" cameras. Some say that one of the reason's Contax held out on auto-focus was because they felt that the high precision optics would be defeated by the loose tolerances needed for an auto focus system. I don't know if this holds true with today's technology, but perhaps Leica feels the same way.

I assume that the mechanical tolerances of Leica lenses are so fine that the autofocus would draw more power than with the more loosely constructed Nikon or Canon lenses? At least for Nikkor prime wide angles, many people note the manual focus versions (with supposedly identical optical formulas) have slightly better optical performance.

Also, implementing autofocus generally compromises manual focusing ease and comfort.

Kevin, this is a question that you should ask of Leica. Camera makers make the products that they want to make. The "powers that be" at Leica have concentrated on features other than autofocus. They have pushed ahead with digital capture but have shown no inclination to develop autofocus. There are technical difficulties such as those described above, but if Leica wanted to do it, they would find a way.

An interesting question. Since I use AF on my Nikon and manual on my R and Leicaflex bodies, I arrived at the conclusion that Leica designers didn't see a need to produce autofocus lenses for their market, which isn't the mass consumer marketplace. However, with many of us aging, and increasingly having difficulty achieving the perfect focus we once enjoyed...perhaps in the future Leica may reconsider. I do think, in all seriousness, that probably Leica engineers probably scorned photographers who couldn't focus a camera on their own...this being a basic tenant of photography (focus before clicking). So far, since I don't need somebody to steer my automobile for me, I don't need somebody to focus my camera for me either.

Why do Leica M and Hasselblad etc cameras do not have the so-convenient pop-up flashes? Why do some cars not have the so-nice automatic transmissions? Or no so-fine sun-roofs? And still (?) get bought and loved.

Because for photography and driving, respectively, neither are necessary.

Clutter => waste => land-fill. Is that what you are looking for, high "land-fill" hills in the great plains of the US? (To down-hill on for your great-grand kids, when they reach sufficient height?)

Sorry. Why do we not have 4 arms? Now that is a better question!

I don't see a compelling case for autofocus in the Leica M cameras. Their virtue is in the precise, quiet operation in a very small package. Auto-focus is bulky and often noisy. Leica didn't even have an hot shoe until recently (who used flash with a Leica?) and the tripod socket goes nearly unused on the extreme right side of the camera. I'm sorry to say I think of my Leica as a working camera, somewhat past its prime but not yet a collectable. How many Leicas (of any sort) do you see being used at photo-ops?

The Leicaflex is another beast - primarily owned by people who want to be seen with a Leica. Its performance has been modest from the get-go, and never really lured anyone who works with a camera away from Nikon (and later Canon). It is also BIG - far larger than manual gems like the old Pentaxes, and the Nikon F3.

By the way, Frank, the Hasselblad H has a pop-up flash. I can see how one could be handy, but they are too power-challenged for general use - a waste of space IMO.

I don't believe that Leica has the R&D wherewithal nowadays to develop a competitive autofocus system. And I think that they probably don't think that licensing it from someone else will be compelling for their customer base - because it would result in a system with the mechanical feel that's the same as whomever they've licensed - and their customers wouldn't buy it.