Hoodman or alternatives on D2X

michael_borland

I have a Hoodman LCD Hood/Cap on my D2X. Actually, it is my second one. On the

first one, one of the little side doors broke off at the top pivot. I contacted

Hoodman and they sent a free "one-time" replacement (apparently they don't offer

replacement parts). The same thing just happened to the replacement. It seems

to be a weakness in the design.

I was thinking of trying the Delkin Devices shade, but it looks identical to the

Hoodman.

Does anyone know of any alternatives? I'd be willing to pay more for something

that wouldn't break every 6 months.

Yeah, and I have lost 2 of the Nikon screen protectors... it's the only thing that irritates me

about the D2x... the D200 protector stays on. I simply use a Hoodman skin now. Peel and

stick... it stays in place and gives my nose an extra couple of millimeters of room. :-)

Isnt the Nikon BM-3 LCD Monitor Cover intended to be

removed when the camera is in use? Thats the way I used

mine until my dog eat it. If I was driving down a high clearance

4WD trail Id want it on the camera while the camera was in

the bag.<br>

<br>

How many who use the BM-3 LCD cover leave it on while shooting?<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

I have tried the Hoodman, but found it covered the screw for the rangefinder cover. Since I use the right angle viewer a fair amount of time, I returned it. I agree that the construction is not up to Nikon satandards. I leave the lcd cover on while shooting. It does create difficulty in seeing the results clearly, but a scratched lcd is a far worse result. Since I wear eyeglasses, scratring the lcd while shootis is a very real possibility.

I too, would be interested in a good solution. Maybe Nikon will solve it with the D3x.

To shoot, you need to close the Hoodman and then every time you view, you need to open it. I used one for a few weeks and found that process cumbersome; I switched back to the BM-3 cover, which is always on.

The only time I "lost" an LCD cover was when I put my D100 inside a suitcase and left that in hotel storage. The suitcase was very full and the LCD cover cracked. Now I travel with spare covers, along with spare lens caps, front and rear.

I leave the BM-3 cover on all the time. I wish it was more scratch resistant; mine doesn't come contact with much but it looks terrible.

My nephew found one on a trail in Glacier National Park in 2004, long before I owned a DSLR. I threw it in a box of filters, etc. and just found it again a few weeks ago. I had a spare and didn't even know it!

<em>I leave the BM-3 cover on all the time. I wish it

was more scratch resistant; mine doesn't come contact with much

but it looks terrible. --Eric Sande<br>

</em><br>

If you shoot through the BM-3 and leave it on all the time you

can remove it periodically and polish out the scratches with

something like Mothers Chrome Polish. There is probably

something better or a finer polish you might use after but thats

what comes to mind.<br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

I looked at the Hoodman last night and I could not be bothered

opening and closing it constantly. Id never use it.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

I don't mind so much opening and closing the Hoodman, but I think the constant wear on the thin plastic hinges on the side flaps is just too much for them. You have to use your thumb and one finger to push the side flaps in, then push the lid down. If the side flaps aren't all the way in, you can crack the hinges, which is what happens to me.

I may just live without the side flaps, or maybe see if I can attach some cloth in their place.

When I shoot indoors, I remove the Hoodman and switch to a BM3.