HP5 in Tmax. Why not?

michael_ferron1

Although I have some DDX on the way I did develop several rolls of HP5 in Tmax

developer and was quite pleased with the results. Grain wasn't bad at all and

the tonal range looked good to me. Held the highlights well. I exposed at 400

and used Tmax at 1-4, 68 degrees at 6.5 minutes. Anyone else try this before?

I've not heard many good things about HP5 in Tmax. I'm interested in your

thoughts.

Mike

I've had good luck with HP5+ in Tmax Developer. The only I did different was adjust for higher temperature, 75 degrees, and cut the developer dilution to facilitate easier scanning.

You scan see a few samples of this combo on my website at

http://www.1point4photography.com/pages/index266.jpg

and

http://www.1point4photography.com/pages/index267.jpg

I use Tmax developer with just about any film I can get my hands on. Tri-x, Tmax, HP5+, Plus-X, NeoPan, FP4+ and some of the Arista films. I also use the developer 1:5 instead of 1:4 at 75 degrees and never had any problem with it. TMax is a great developer. Just cost a little bit more than the other developers. My profile has a lot of work develop with TMax developer. It very easy to mix like HC-110 and last a long time. These are just two of my favorite from Kodak.

I thought of it as a Liquid D-76. I found I could use it like HC-110 and just mix up what I needed per roll from the syrup. the bottle is used mostly for my 120 films I shoot in the box cameras because I find it pulls nicely.

These were shot with an Ansco Surshot box camera on J&C classic with TMAX.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=610419

Larry

I use t-max dev on HP5 and Neopan. I tried the times by taking the guidelines from the digitaltruth web site. I use 1+4 at 20 degree, or 1+9 at 24 degree... I found the former is a bit difficult to control in the summer, but the 1+9 seems not strong enough for highlights...

May I ask the experience of the aboves that how should I start with the 1+5 solution at 24 degree? Cause I have no idea how to estimate time against the dilution. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

just reading the posts in this thread... im pretty much self taught when it comes to chemicals etc and always go by the labels instructions, but i would be very interested if someone could explain how you can mix Tmax at 9 X 1 dilution instead of a 1 X 4 dilution? This would save me a lot of money being spend on bottles of Tmax? Is it a case of changing the tempreture and do you get different results?

thanks a bunch