Photography in Nagoya (Japan)

Ok: We've now seen every photo Mihaela? has shot (most of them much too dark for my taste). Seems like every forum has at least one individual who seems better at shooting off their mouth than their camera. LOOK AT ME! HEY, HEY. LOOK AT ME!!

Raid. Hope you have a wonderful trip. I'm outta here.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne: I wish I could just remove this posting. It has created more negative and bitter sounding feedback than I thought possible. I privately know many other professional photographers who can give me feedback offline, but I thought it would be nice to include fellow PN contributors.

1. What type of equipment should I require of my students? Does it matter if all students [and myself] use film based or digital cameras? What about rangefinder vs. SLR? It may be difficult to require students to buy rangefinder cameras at this stage.

A; If the goal is to develop photographic seeing, then any kind of photo taking equipment is fine. If the goal is to teach photography basics, then cameras with manually adjustable apertures and shutter speeds would be necessary. Their style (slr, rangefinder) is not important as long as quick photofinishing can be obtained, which may rule out medium and large format cameras. Should you require your students to buy rangefinder cameras at this stage? No, that would be silly.

2. If a film based camera is used, should I require B&W film, color or both? I am thinking of having a weekly critique session of their work.

A: For fastest feedback time, colour neg would be best. If time allows, encourage students to at least try a roll of B+W.

3. Is a textbook necessary for such a course? I could easily teach them the basics of photography and have then write photo essays (journalistic style) on what they see.

A: A qualified photo instructor will be able to teach what is necessary. Providing a bibliography to furthur students own reading would be good.

4. Is a 50mm lens sufficient? Is a tripod needed? Is there any particular equipment that you would suggest?

5. To save students some money, should they all buy Fuji film here or in Nagoya? Xray is a possible problem in airports.

A: Let them buy the film in Japan. The cost savings is not too great and you will support local business.

6. Do you know about certain aspects of Japanes life that "must" be captured? Any useful information will certainly be appreciated.

A: The daily life of every culture can be interesting photographically. Try not to overlook the mundane while persueing the unique aspects of Japanese culture such as the religious festivals, and the Buddist temples and Shinto shrines.

There how's that? I fell somewhat embarassed giving such basic advice to such an experienced and credentialled photographer.

Oops, missed question number 4.

4. Is a 50mm lens sufficient? Is a tripod needed? Is there any particular equipment that you would suggest?

A: A 50 mmlens would be sufficient, however other focal lengths can be used to achieve an effect not possible with a normal lens. A tripod is useful when using long lenses and for very low light photography. A flash is another useful photo accessory and the concept of daylight fill-flash is useful to teach to photography beginners.

Did you really need help with these questions? A professor, 25 years of photography experience, numerous awards and citations, photo course teacher in the US, published phtographer, and represented by the most prestigious stock photo agency in Japan? It still doesn't make any sense to me, but hey, I'm glad I was helpful.

Frank, let it go. You're adding nothing constructive to the conversation. Raid isn't "to big" to ask others for advice or so "full of it" that he feels compelled to belittle others. We need people like Raid here. His query should have brought forth a bunch of suggestions that would be of use not only to him but to many others who come here seeking knowledge and advice. Instead, this thread was hijacked by not just one but several pompous individuals trying to shout from the roof tops "Look at ME!" by questioning Raids abilities and credentials. Raid, I wish you the best of success this summer. Try to post a few of your photos while you're there so we can get to meet your students, and see what they're doing and learning. Maybe post some of their work too. Thanks.

Ben: I am sorry not to have responded earlier to you. The GL690 is a very heavy camera, and it may be unsuitable for travel overseas in my case since I also have to carry two babies on the plane. It is a very nice camera though. I use it often.

I will try an approach similar to what you described by "letting students loose" and have them use their own creativity to capture interesting images. I made sure that I am not liable for their safety if anyone gets hurt. Such things can be very important when it comes to teaching and students performing activities in a class project.

Hi Raid,

I can only share my own experience in Japan. When I first came here in fall of 2000 for a three week trip around the islands, I brought an M6 and a 35, 50 and a 90. I shot strictly provia. That was in Tokyo and Hokkaido. I got lots of very nice shots. On the way back down from Hokkaido to Tokyo, the Leica with 35mm asph flew out of my backpack which I had not zipped shut absentmindedly. I do this kind of thing all the time, like going to an atm and withdrawing money only to walk away with the receipt and leave the cash in the atm!<p>Anyway, the Leica became airborn and landed with a "thud," or was it "clunk" on the train station platform. The rewind lever was demolished, but everything else was fine on the camera. The lens though seemed stiff on the focus at the close range. Anway, this was halfway through my trip.<p>I took the 35 to a store in Tokyo and traded for an EOS 5 with a 28-105mm. The pics I got in Kyoto and Himeji with that EOS were much more interesting than the ones I got with the Leica. The only place the Canon lost was in sheer resolution and color. Otherwise I highly recommend the EOS.<p>For equipment I would recommend a good AF camera with a wide range zoom lens, and a 50mm as a low light back up. I would simply not bother with the technical side of photography. Who cares? When you look at a beautiful scene with your eye, do you need to be an expert on optics and the structure of the eye to appreciate beauty? No. It is not necessary to be a good technician to be a good photographer. What counts is one's eye. So I would encourage the students to use what ever camera they like. Then, I would critique their results based on your ability to help them improve in the area of capturing captivating images. Who care about equipment or material? The result is what counts.

Claude, <br>

I am more and more tilting to letting students choose their own type of cameras and lenses, with the condition of using a film-based camera so that direct comparisons are easier than if some use a digital and some a film based camera. I also agree that the most important factor in a good photographer is having a "good eye" for beautiful things. The technical aspects can be taught and learned easily.

Raid,

Yes. The movie has both nudity and violence. They are very weired

movie, but you can see some glimpse of extreme side of Japan.

For the entire family, one of the recent Godzilla movie might be a

good choice. Also, I think "Lost in Translation" captured modern

Japan very well.

Vic: What do you know about Mr. Shishin?

Is he a member of PN and does he post things in the Leica Forum?

======================

"Raid, you need to connect with a certain Mr. A. Shishin. I understand he is marginally familiar with Leica gear and resides in Japan, near a bridge."

Raid, You mean you haven't heard of Mr. A. Shishin??? Click below:

<br><br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=505561">Mr. A. Shishin</a>

<br><br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?include=all&user_id=505561">Mr. A. Shishin's photos</a>

<br><br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005Y3u">The many faces of Mr. A. Shishin</a>

<br><br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007Y1V">Typical Japanese man on a Friday night</a>

<br><br>Truth be told, he's one of the nicest persons on this forum. You HAVE to meet him in Japan.