Photography in Nagoya (Japan)

Range: I will not teach anything about the Japanese culture.

I will teach a course on quality control, which is my area of expertise, and I will overlook a course on travel photography in Japan. It's basically this.

"Re the snarky comments near the beginning of the post, anybody who's been around academia know that you don't have to be from a certain culture in order to teach a course on it. If you have the most academic knowledge, you are the 'expert.' Perhaps Raid has, e.g., a good grasp on Japanese culture pre-Kyoto-Edo power transition that many students could learn from. Regards"

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Raid, you're really getting the third degree here! Maybe you should teach an on-line course in culture to these NON-SUBSCRIBING photo.net drive-by muggers.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful time in Japan. I'm sure everything will go perfectly. When you return, please put up some pictures and let us know the lovely things you experienced.

PS. Have you thought about taking all that classic "New in the Box" Leica gear that you discovered in your closet. Lots of Yen waiting for your gear.

Sayonara!

Raid,

"...and (I) would not survive without answers to my questions."

At least you're not saying you're an English professor.

Raid, sorry to be rude, but the kind of questions you were asking suggested to me that you did not have a good grasp of what you were being asked to teach. Another poster also suggested that your questions were "odd". Given your stated experience and credentials, the questions you asked do sound odd to me. It is as if an English professor asking others how to write an essay, for example. It struck me that the "quality" of your questions is not consistent with your stated experience and credentials. Do you see what I'm trying to say?

Japanese airports and taking film through under 800 speed will be no problem at all. Buy your film there from Yodobashi or Bic. The prices are very near to US now and that way, you don't have to schlep it in.

You will not need lead bags. They are a nuisance for there are no problems about the x-ray carry-on scanners but never, ever put film in checked luggage or it's a goner. If you feel you must, you can request a hand-check and get it.

Conni

You can be whatever you like to be, or what you let people know you are. Question is how good you can be? Please read your own questions again and again and again and think back of all your published work and credentials, etc. Now does it sound to you that are you qualified enough to teach others about photography? I mean, come on! Admit it: you have no clue about it. But you?ll gonna do it anyway, because that's all about self esteem. Doesn't matter how good you are or qualified you are, once you have the opportunity you can and you'll do it. Problem is self esteem knocks out common sense, which is more important to some of us, common sense that makes you ask yourself if you are right or wrong every second of your life.

And I attached some more samples of my work, maybe you need them to show to those Japanese students. Photos made by somebody not represented by the most prestigious agency in Japan.

Raid, I don't envy what you've been put through the past few hours. One idiot posting dozens of photos that look like they were probably ripped off from another photographer, or photographers? A photo.ne subscriber for 4 or 5 years and 98% of their postings on this one thread? Don't make no sense! (Intentional bad grammar.)

I'd go along with a C-41 medium to high speed (ISO 200 or 400) film, either color or B&W. The camera should be capable of setting distance, aperture and shutter speed otherwise there's really no way to teach the basics. That pretty much limits you to film cameras. I don't see where it really matters if it's rangefinder or SLR or TLR, 35mm or medium format. Forget the tripod. A normal (50mm) lens would teach more "seeing" discipline than using a zoom. The quality would likely be better too.

"I'd go along with a C-41 medium to high speed (ISO 200 or 400) film, either color or B&W. The camera should be capable of setting distance, aperture and shutter speed otherwise there's really no way to teach the basics. That pretty much limits you to film cameras. I don't see where it really matters if it's rangefinder or SLR or TLR, 35mm or medium format. Forget the tripod. A normal (50mm) lens would teach more "seeing" discipline than using a zoom. The quality would likely be better too."

Very good advice, Al, but don't YOU think it's odd that someone as experienced and credentialled as Raid would need such basic and common sense advice?

I am not a poster who has attacked Raid, I've just pointed out the incongruency of his questions with his stated experience. Doesn't anyone else notice this?

Mr. Kaplan, nobody called you names. And I don't remember seeing your photos in any of the folders on photo.net. All the posted photos belong to me, believe it or not. The wine rule, older means better doesn't apply to humans. Too bad. But Mr. Amin just was the cherry on the cake with his questions today. By the way, there is another president now, go and shake his hand, too.<div>00BgHA-22606984.thumb.jpg.3d8bfe898341ec335c30a0edba92bb41.jpg</div>

Al,

I also have this preference myself; a 50mm lens allows you to focus on composition and it allows the students and myself to have critique sessions of work done with the same focal length. I initially favored 200ASA film, but will also ask for 400ASA film for situations when light is dim. The reason I asked about tripod use is the fact that Japan's cities can be very crowded, and carrying a tripod could become a burden. While I usually use a heavy tripod in my photography, I don't see a real reason, other than available light photography, where it is a must. Thanks for your inpuit, Al.