Wedding: What ~400iso B&W?

Hello,<br /><br />

I'm an amateur who's been asked to shoot a wedding for friends.

<b>YES</b>, I have <b>strongly</b> encouraged them to hire a

professional wedding photographer.<br /><br />

I have one question at the moment:<br />

I know that colour print films like Fuji NPS and NPH are ideal for

weddings because when exposed properly, they preserve detail in both

highlights (the bridal gown), and shadows (the tuxedos). Unfortunately

the ceremony will be in mixed fluorescent and incandescent lighting,

so black & white is the best option when the flash cannot be

used. What Black&White 220 format film do you recommend for

photographing the ceremony in available light?

Any decent 400 ISO like the Ilford Delta-400 or Agfa APX-400 should do fine. the problem would be getting hold of the 220 Stock. I think the first on the agenda is start asking around for available film stock ..

Personally I prefer old style Silver halide, so I tend to stick with Kodak Tr-X or Ilford HP5+, but IMHO they have too high a contrast for wedding.

Wow. The _only_ b&w 220 film out there is Kodak BW 400CN and Tri-X Pan (the 320 speed variant). It really is getting rare.

I find that, sometimes, in mixed lighting that desaturating color film doesn't always give the results I want. Some of the tones just look a _bit_ off after desaturating. Maybe it's just psychological.

As for getting low contrast, you could use TXP and pull development, or just shoot the 400CN. The C41 stuff is almost always fairly low in contrast.

allan

I specified 220 format because if I photograph the ceremony I'll probably be using a Mamiya C220, which does not have interchangeable film backs. Changing film during the ceremony will likely not be an option.

It looks like I'll probably be using Kodak Professional 320TXP

If you are using TXP...I took pictures of a friend's dog a while back, which is completely white and black. I used TXT rated at 250, even though I usually rate at 320, since I was using matrix rather than spot metering. I then pulled development by 25% from my usual (again, which is for EI 320) and got nicely controlled contrast.

Not that I'm comparing TXT to TXP (or dogs to brides and grooms, for that matter), but just saying that such a technique worked quite well.

allan

XP2 Super. Unless you plan to use digital tools, in which case you can desaturate and tweak color negative films.

The main advantage to XP2 Super is low to moderate contrast, which is usually suitable for photographing people, especially with direct flash. It also responds the same as traditional b&w films when used with yellow, orange, red, green or other filters. Color films won't respond the same way if used with these filters, so even desaturated you won't get the same results.

I don't think XP2 Super is available now in 220. For that matter, I don't think any Ilford film is being made in 220. So you'll have to plan on buying more rolls and changing more often.

Lex, I like XP-2 also but it won't fit in his Mamiya C220. I'm no

expert in B&W but wanted to post a recommendation that nobody else

has so far. <B>Do not shoot B&W film</B> just find a digital minilab

that can produce B&W prints for selected frames or rolls. E.g, I find

the Frontier produces better B&W prints from color film than from

Kodak BW400CN.

I did some photos a while back at a wedding. I shot Tri-X (@1600 speed!) using an old Leica. They did have an official photographer and lots of other friends took photos but the ones they liked the most were mine. They just loved the look-and-feel of the grainy b/w. Looks very classic. So I guess I'd recommend Tri-X pushed to 1600 speed (good for inside the church [provided there'll be one] - no flash needed!) to ge the ultimate classic look.