Cold Chemical Storage

jim_foley4

This may have been asked but I didn't find anything. Is it good or

bad to store partially used liquid chemical concentrates in the

fridge? Will it extend the life of say, T-Max developer and Rapid

Fixer or cause it to crystalize or otherwise ruined? The spec

sheets don't say much. Thanks.

I'm also with Chris on this one. Some B&W solutions are at or near saturation and chemistry will come out of solution if kept in a fridge. What is much more important is keeping the oxygen out. It is this that will ruin the developing agents faster than anything else. So keep the chemistry in PETE (marked with a number 2 within the recycle symbol on the bottom) or glass bottles and either keep them topped up to the brim or use an inert gas spray like Tetenal Protectan to keep air from above the liquid. The top of the bottle should also be PETE or use a piece of clingfilm over the mouth whilst screwing on the lid. Due to manufacturing problems, tops are often made of a lesser plastic and are permeable to air.

I also keep my bottles in a dark cupboard. Although light probably has no direct effect on the chemistry it does provide energy that could speed up the breakdown.

I never had problems with storing developer (Emofin solution and Rodinal and LC29 concentrate) in a fridge. Of course you should take it out of the fridge and should not warm it up - I let it stand outside the fridge over night prior to using it.

Fixer is much less critical and will last a long time when stored at room temperature.