Police guitarist Andy Summers in AP & London

"Douglas, you miss an important, fundamental fact: IT'S NOT THAT IMPORTANT TO ME TO POST GREAT, PERFECTLY SCANNED PICTURES. I really don't care..."

If you "really don't care," then why make photos at all?

The benefit of sharing only photos which are the best I can make is this: when someone offers criticism, I can't offer excuses because the photo is the best I can make. Then I have no choice but to consider the critique and, potentially, learn how to improve my photos. But if your goal is not to make the best photos that YOU can make, then I ask again, why bother?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Douglas said: "But if your goal is not to make the best photos that YOU can make, then I ask again, why bother?"

That's not what I said, Douglas. What I said was this: "IT'S NOT THAT IMPORTANT TO ME TO POST GREAT, PERFECTLY SCANNED PICTURES."

Considering the talent level of everyone here, the idea of anyone (including me) posting consistently great pictures is far-fetched.

Secondly, I care about making good pictures... I try each time I pick up my camera. What I don't care about is whether every picture I post here is considered good by everyone or whether the scan itself meets the exacting standards of some. That's not important to me. Having fun is why I come here... perfection is not a factor.

"Regarding "the other one," one thing for sure is you won't find excuses posted there."

Jeez... why would there be ANY reason for excuses there...? ;>)

It's kinda funny when someone says they don't care if their pictures (and scans) are considered good by everyone on an internet forum... and then to be told that they're just making excuses. LOL... Not following your logic there... ;>)

Just in case I wasn't clear, Brad... I DON'T CARE... ;>)

Dennis, you exemplify the reasons why I stopped spending time writing critiques on this forum: because the posters, who had often asked for critiques, would respond with excuses, rebuttals, and (most often) silence. Most photo posters here are more interested in their own egos than in improving their photography. What a waste of expensive gear.

"...because the posters, who had often asked for critiques, would respond with excuses, rebuttals, and (most often) silence..."

Douglas: When was the last time I asked for a critique? I don't generally do that on the internet... although now and then I've gotten some, including a few scathing unsolicited "critiques" from people who I've crossed swords with on other matters. Hmmmmmm..........

BTW, I am correct in assuming that you are saying you are well-qualified to critique my work? I'll bet if we sat down together and looked at my portfolio I would point things out in my stuff that you had not seen or imagined. Douglas, you've never seen my portfolio up close. You've never talked to me about my stuff. You have no idea what I try to do. Why would I want a critique from you? It's not because I am afraid of criticism... I get that from a professional. It's because your critique means absolutely nothing to me. You are an internet denizen. You are not someone whose opinion I would want. Understand better now...?

"Dennis, you exemplify the reasons why I stopped spending time writing critiques on this forum: because the posters, who had often asked for critiques, would respond with excuses, rebuttals, and (most often) silence..."

I'm kinda slow, Doug, so it took me a while to figure it out... you're miffed that people blow off your critiques. Maybe your critiques are more dreadful than the pictures here... ever consider that? Just as if a picture fails to communicate it is the photographer's fault, if the critique doesn't resonate then it is is the critiquer's fault. It strikes me, Douglas, that your problem is that maybe you believe your critiques deserve better recognition. Is that why you are upset when people chose to ignore your critiques?

You say that you have stopped giving critiques here because of the responses or lack of responses they have garnered. That's okay... If your work, photographic or written, is not appreciated or is greater than the rest then take it elsewhere where it is appreciated.

Just out of curiosity... do you still post photos here? If so, would you like them critiqued? ...by me? (I'd be happy to do it, Douglas.)

Oh... and Douglas, if you don't post photos here, would you mind telling us why?

Thanks... and have a GREAT weekend, Douglas.. :>)

"... do you still post photos here?"

I am so sorry, Douglas... that passage is incomplete. (I don't always proofread... bad habit). It should read:

"...do you still post photos here? ...have you EVER posted photos here?"

Thanks a bunch... hope you're working on making this weekend great... take some pictures, write some critiques... have fun. :>)

BTW, Douglas... the offer for me to publicly critique your work still stands. Just let me see two or three dozen of your best shots... It's okay, I don't have to see ALL your best shots... I can get an idea from around 30 pics, give or take a few.

Don't thank me, Douglas... it will be my pleasure. :>)

"Oh... and Douglas, if you don't post photos here, would you mind telling us why?"

I've already explained that in numerous threads -- some of which you've joined. Go back and read them.

"...do you still post photos here? ...have you EVER posted photos here?"

Yep, I have, but not lately.

"BTW, Douglas... the offer for me to publicly critique your work still stands. Just let me see two or three dozen of your best shots... It's okay, I don't have to see ALL your best shots... I can get an idea from around 30 pics, give or take a few."

I've not chosen to digitize my photos, so I do not have 30 scanned pics. But I'll make a deal with you, Dennis -- email your address to me and I will send you a couple dozen RCs. You can scan them, post them here, critique them, whatever -- then mail them back to me. Hell, I'll even send along five bucks for the return shipping. How does that sound? But one caveat -- I am swamped at work right now and will be travelling at the end of May, so it may be June before I can sort through boxes and mail the prints. But I am serious.

"I've not chosen to digitize my photos..."

Douglas, first you say you have posted pictures here before, but not recently. Now you say you can't post your photos here for me to publicly critique because you have not digitized your photos. Hmmmmm... sounds like an excuse to me.

In all fairness, Douglas, if you give unsolicited public critiques (critiques that are not requested, such as in w/nw threads) of others' photos then why won't you post your photos for public critique? I'll be fair and honest in my critiques of your work...

Dennis, I have posted here in past, but only about seven or eight shots that I had scanned....Your post specifically stated "I don't have to see ALL your best shots... I can get an idea from around 30 pics, give or take a few." So I have offered to send you a couple dozen. Hell, I will pick out exactly thirty. You can post them and everyone here can have at 'em. Whaddya say?

Douglas, I don't have a flat bed scanner... and besides, as all of you well know, my scanning skills are somewhat limited. Why don't you get the master at digital imaging, Brad, to scan them for you. His self-professed standards are by far the highest of any internet photographer I have seen. Post you best shots one at a time, over a period of time, Douglas, so we can all see if you really know what you're talking about... because I've read your critiques of others' photos and I've not detected anything profound in your critiques. Your reviews actually seem more like gratuitous "slice and dice" jobs. Maybe I'm missing something about your expertise that might be revealed in seeing your best photography.

"...what's happened to you?"

Ray, with all due respect, old buddy... I've wondered the same thing about you. I've not commented on how critical you now appear to be of others' photos. And, it pains me to say this, but I haven't seen any improvement in the little of your photography I now see. You used to be a pretty fun guy too who enjoyed shooting with his Leica and who posted a lot of fun photos. What's happened to you? It may be a pitfall of starting to take oneself too seriously...

This supposed to be fun... and you know it used to be fun when we didn't take ourselves seriously. Maybe we all think we're too good...