How to determine grams

A cube of water 1 cm on each side weighs one gram, if that helps you to visualize it.

If you're doing this much, get a scale. I imagine there are a lot of chemistry type scales that would work. But there are also powder scales used for handloading firearms cartridges. They are fairly cheap. Only drawback is that they measure in grains, which I seem to recall is 1/7000 of a pound or so.

Alternatively, if you have a friend or acquaintance that has such a scale, jury-rig your own little measuring cup for the appropriate amount.

There are two parts to your question. Firstly, converting grams to ounces can be done with a calculator (1 ounce = 28.349gram) or at:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Go to "weight" and choose your units.

The other part of your question is how do you convert grams of sodium sulfite to a convenient household measurement of volume, such as a teaspoon. According to the Darkroom Cookbook by S.Anchell, anhydrous sodium sulfite can be measured thus:

1 teaspoon is 7.9gram

I assume that there is such a thing as a standard US teaspoon, and that that is what is meant by this conversion. In other countries, a "teaspoon" can have different sizes. That is why the metric system is standard in almost all of the world. It's true!

In most photographic recipes the amount of sulfite is not really critical, but some other components can be.

re<i>a U.S. nickel weighs exactly 5 grams</i><BR><BR>Usually a random nickel from pocket change weighs in within 0.01 gram, when I use my 1/10 milligram Mettler balance. Even one that is extremely worn looking is good enough for a swag on a make shift photographic balance.<BR><BR>US currency bills, ie dollar, 5 dollar etc bills weigh in at 1 gram each. The weight varies due to humidity.<BR><BR>A 5 carat diamond weighs 1 gram too, US Nickels are somewhat cheaper item to use on the darkroom scale, they weight 25 carats.

"....but accurate (to 0.1 g) scale for measuring phenidone etc"

A readout to one decimal place does not really mean accurate to 0.1g. For example, if a formula for 1 Liter of developer calls for 0.2g which is fairly typical, your scale that reads to one decimal place can show only 0.1, 0.2, 0.3. Even if it's accurate to the nearest one decimal place (a big if: read in the specifications of the scale the fine print about reading error in the last digit), when it says 0.2 it can be anything from 0.15 to about 0.25. This is a large percentage error.

For this reason some people make a stock solution of phenidone which makes measuring out small quantities easier. I had no luck doing that in alcohol, but some other solvents have been recommended.

Ohaus makes a small digital scale with 0.1 gram accuracy to 50 grams and 0.2 gram accuracy to 100 grams. I wish it could weigh heavier amounts but I find it pretty useful nonetheless. I got mine off eBay in 2003 for about $40. They should be easy to find.

The triple-beam Ohaus scales are excellent but slow to use. You can weigh any reasonable quantity with them with high precision.

Generally sodium sulfite doesn't have to be very accurately measured

anyway. But it seems to me that 1 level film can is 1 OZ. At least that is how it

was measured for using it with FG7. So you could do one level film can and

then pour it out on a mirror and with a razor blade divide it in half, then in half

again, then in half again, then in half again, then sort of in half with a big half

and a little half and call it a gram.... what you never used cocaine?

• 1 month later...