I have the AF-S 17-35 F2.8 and the AF-S 80-200 F2.8, both of which I

bought new about 2 years back. I have always used these lenses with a

manual focus camera. So the silent wave motor was never used on these

lenses. I bought an F-100 yesterday and when I mounted both these

lenses, the camera was focussing OK but whenever it was searching a

bit, both the lenses were making a squeaking noise as if metal was

grating against metal. Is that normal or is it time for these lenses

to be CLA-ed? Thanks...

I had the same problem with my 300mm AFS also, what I did was , don't put any film in the camera in case you are pressing too hard on the trigger. Try to focus back and forth from the closest distance to infinity or close the lens cap and do the the same (In autofocusing mode), after 10 minutes the sound is gone and I have'nt got the noise back since then.

Good luck.

Stan

I'm not sure if it's normal but my 17-55 made a clicking noise right out of the box but I've

heard similar sounds coming from a couple different 17-35s and canon 16-35s. On mine,

the sound is most pronounced when it hits either end of the focus range. I'm also not

quite sure exactly what this suggested fix is. Am I supposed to sit there and rack the focus

in and out for 10 minutes?

My 300mm AFS did the same thing...and occasionally still does briefly after long periods of storage; like Stanley I let the motor focus in and out for a couple of minutes and it goes away. I also own the 17-35mm AFS, but it has never exhibited this problem. I spoke with a Nikon tech back when it first happened and he didn't seem to have any concern over any internal damage being caused...I bought USA with the 5 year warranty, so I've put off sending it in. A bit bothersome given what these lenses cost.

I've never had this happen. But I guess with anything

mechanical, if moving parts sit idle for a long period of time, they

have a tendency to need to "loosen" up before they mesh

smoothly.

Makes sense.

I have to move around for 10 minutes or so after I get out of bed

in the morning, or else I make a lot of noise for the rest of the

day. So I can relate...

There have been some other threads asking if this is rare, and based on other peoples' replies it is not. I've had a 17-35 AF-S since January 2001 and in August 2001 it started making the noise we're talking about. It still works great, though. I was nervous when I first heard it because I opted to save $250 and buy a grey market lens, but it still works fine (with the occasional sound).

I'm kinda wondering whether the AF-S Nikkors really are suited for routine manual focusing. My old 28-85/3.5-4.5 AF-Nikkor focus ring turns very smoothly in manual mode while the focus ring my new 18-70/3.5-4.5G DX turns about as smoothly as a child proof prescription bottle cap, whether in M/A or M mode.