B/W Filters - Importance of Quality

In the past, I've only purchased Hoya or B&W MC/SMC filters for all

my color work. I'm wondering how important brand quality is in the

b/w scheme of things; are the MC/SMC coatings equally as important

for b/w, or will Tiffen or Sunpak uncoated yellow/green/red filters

produce the same results as Hoya or B&W? Does anyone have tested

experience between MC and non-MC color filters? The savings on just

one filter can buy another.....Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I realize that your posting is an older posting, but I just recently found it. My response focuses on the lense but equates to the filter. People often ask me what kind of camera I shoot with. I find this question odd since my first question would be about the lense they are using. The reason is that the glass of the lense is the first piece of equipment that the image passes through. The higher the quality of the lense the higher the quality of image when it hits the film. With a lower quality lense the image is slightly distorted with is more obvouse under enlargements and paying close attention to the detail. This is why profesionals use higher quality lenses which are also more expensive.

Getting back to your filter question. With a filter, this piece of glass becomes the first part of the camera that the image passes through, hence the first peice of glass that can alter the image. I always use the best equipment can afford and that includes lenses.

In defense of my statement, magazines analize lenses and film for image quality and camera bodies are analized for features.

I hope this helps.

David