Fuji Fujidol and Super Prodol with Tmax... Information?

stephane camus

Hello,

I have some Fujidol-E and Super Prodol that I would like to use for

developping Tmax and Hp5 films... just for the fun.

However, I cannot find any information about time processing for these

developer when used with other films than Fuji.

It seems that they are for Japanese market only... there might be the

information somewhere, but so far I found only in Japanese.

Anybody has an idea?

Thanks!

Stephane-there's a guy who popped up on the APUG.org site who goes by the name of unicircuits. He sells these developers directly from japan; and some other neat stuff. I tried googling his site but haven't found it yet. Maybe someone else can chine in here to get you in the right direction. I know he will be able to give you the information. Post back as I will ask for you-OK?

Peter

Fujidol-E (a phenidone and ascorbic acid type developer) was designed to mimic D76, so the developing times should be close to that developer. An test article in Photo Industry (shashin kogyo) showed virtually identical contrast with the same developing times, D76 vs Fujidol-E, when used with Neopan 400 and Tri-X (old version). However, there was a 1/3 stop speed loss with Fujidol-E. With Neopan 1600, Fujidol-E required slightly less time than D76, and there was no speed loss. With Neopan 100 (which was actually Delta 100), Fujidol-E required slightly more time than D76, and there was no speed loss.

So, use your D76 times as a starting point.

Fujidol-E gives slightly finer grain and sharpness than D76 (my experience and the writer of the above article). However, unlike Xtol, there is no speed gain. Fuji does not seem to encourage the 1+3 dilution, but I have used it for years with good results, as have others.

SPD is a PQ type developer, designed for standard and push processing. It's cheap and popular, but I have little experience with it. Developing times are much shorter than Fujidol-E.

Wow, thank you for the great information.

Peter, I will wait to do some testing before I contact the guy you sent me the address. I went to check out there website, it is interesting. Since I am living in Japan, I will also ask friends to see if they can find and translate more information about Fujidol & stuff.

Indeed, I looked at the time table for processing Fuji film with D76 and the time is only about 7% longer than with Fujidol, so it seems that it could be a good starting point for testing with Hp5 and Tmax, although the difference in film techology could dramatically impact this ratio... anyway, I will have fun testing this. I will let you know how it went.

Thank you!

Steph-

I just checked both a packet of Super Prodol and fujifilm.jp, and neither has times for anything other than Fuji films. So there's probably no official information available; you'll have to experiment. This strikes me as odd, though, since T-Max is widely available here in Japan, and if Fuji chemicals work well with your film, you'd have a good economic incentive to use them. (They're considerably cheaper than Kodak, Ilford and Agfa chemicals.)

• 1 month later...