really bugs me about this system: the lid has to be pressed on and "walked

around" the edge to seal it, and it's not at all confortable or reliable. It

requires quite a bit of force and doesn't have any sort of positive snap. It

just doesn't seem like a good fit. Then, of course, it leaks a bit anyway! Can

anyone recommend a tank that will take two 120 Patterson reels (or other brand

of plastic reel, if it comes to that) and has a screw-on top, or at least a top

that just presses into place without me having to white-knuckle it twice around

the edge?

Kindermann or Hewes steel reels/tanks are preferred by a lot of people. I think they have a reputation of leaking a bit more than plastic, though. In the USA JOBO stainless steel reels are made for them by Hewes, and Hewes also makes special stainless steel 35mm and 120

reels that don't require any adapters to fit in the Jobo 1500 series tanks, and work either by inversion or rotary processing.

Have you heard about Jobo 1501 plastic reels? Good reputation too.

Have a look at *Bay for one of the older Paterson System 4 tanks - *NOT* Super System 4. These have a screw on lid and a smaller press on cap that I find does not leak when inverted even though I bought it new over 30 years ago. The reels are the same as the new tanks. The size 3 will take three reels adjusted to 35mm or two set for 120.

Nick

If you want stainless steel reels for a Jobo 1500 series tank, note that there are two different sorts. The best is made by Hewes and fits the standard Jobo plastic centre tube.

There is also another that requires a different centre tube and I think that it precludes inversion. Maybe this is an older discontinued model.

The Jobo 1500 tanks have a push-on top with a locking ring that is pushed down. The lid is also push-on, and mine leaks a few drops.

Personally I like to invert, on the assumption that it causes a more homogeneous mixing of the developer.

The Jobo 1520 will be your model. Equipped with one 1501 Jobo plastic reel suitable for 2X120 roll film or one 220 roll film or with an extra 1501 reel 2x 135-36 films.

These tanks will not leak if you store the red lid without pressure seperately when not in use.

If the red lid leaks a bit: Put it in hot water, put it on the tank, lets cool down and then you will have for a long time no leaks anymore.

Can be ordered seperately as spare part by the way.

http://vonkjes.nl/osCommerce/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=158