Last drop

dxphoto

Seriously - have you been drinking that last 1/2 ounce?

Is there a problem with that last little bit? A&T said that 10 seconds is enough to drip everything off the film. It's worked for me. Just be consistent and don't worry about that last half ounce.

allan

Well, I wish I was drunk. Sorry for the "question". Anyway, the reason I ask is that I used plastic tanks now I am switching to stainless steel tanks. I notice the same thing that there is more than 1/2 oz solution left in the tank that I cannot get it out. So I guess this half oz from stop bath is going to dilute the fixer. And after a few times developing you know it can add up pretty significently. Do you agree with me?

You should be able to completely drain a stainless stel tank; there should not be any chemicals left in the tank.

If you do have a significant amount of carry over, you should not be reusing chemistry. Chemistry is cheap; I see no reason to reuse it at all.

Yes, the plastic tanks do retain a bit more liquid than stainless steel tanks when you drain them, but it doesn't add up to anything worth worrying about. Just give the tank a shake to get the last few drops out if it bothers you. To keep the reel from creeping up on the center core, wrap a rubber band around the core after placing the reel. The reel will not move and the rubber band has no effect on the chemistry.