getting a bit geeky: brick wall lens test (rate the results)

vuk_vuksanovic

gentlemen.

<br><br>

please forgive this, but i took a shot earlier today <i>merely</i> to

test out the characteristics of a lens which i have on loan (many

thanks to the company who provided it). it is a so-so picture, but

very telling of the glass--at least to my eyes. i would be interested

in getting your opinions in terms of the attributes you see:

<br><br>

<a

href="http://www.avzine.com/vuk/temp/dior.htm">http://www.avzine.com/vuk/temp/dior.htm</a>

<br><br>

thanks!<br>

vuk.

<br><br>

p.s. i have made up my mind, but i'm just curious to see if we see the

same stuff.

Vuk, at that image size it's very difficult to judge anything besides composition. ;-) One other thing, I don't like this lens out-of-focus characteristics, at least as apparent in that image. I think I see the dreaded double line bokeh (ni-sen boke, Japanese speakers?) that I've come to hate in Nikkors.

Well, I don't see any brick wall. Colorful, to say the least, but shifted due to ambient light sources and one could have used color correction filters to prevent that. No depth of field. I see only one row of Dior bottles. When providing test data, it's also customary to describe what it is you're testing and who the manufacturer is. By the way, aside from gentlemen, we have quite a few women here as well. :>)

Mark

I have no idea what you could have noticed about the lens, but I am curious why the third

horizontal rod (can't quite think what to call it), seems to be larger in the middle (just

reflections, I suppose). Also, the two gold bands that run vertically along each side do not

appear to be straight. Should they be? It might just be the lighting, but some of the

background (wall?) appears to have a darker patch in the middle. How did you light this

image? Did you shoot this image wide open? I am guessing (a wild one at that) that you

used a digital camera, but there appears to be no purple fringing which, of course, is

good. I'll keep looking, but I guess I really need to consider getting a life.

All the best.

That is the worst image of a brick wall I have ever seen. That lens distorts shapes so badly the bricks don't even look rectangular -- and color rendition is way off too; they came out every color except brick red. The simple meniscus in my old Brownie Starflash could take a better picture of a brick wall than that. My recommendation: do not buy.

-Cougar :{)

>Vuk Vuksanovic , feb 13, 2005; 10:21 a.m.

>>Brad - , feb 13, 2005; 10:38 a.m.

>>>Vuk Vuksanovic , feb 13, 2005; 10:41 a.m.

>>>the fact you've replied so quickly makes that rather obvious.

>>>hang in there dude!

>>>vuk.

Let me see... he posted 17 minutes after you and then you post 3 minutes after him. I

think you are sitting in your chair hitting the "refresh" button on your browser, just waiting

for responses to your troll. Go away.