getting a bit geeky: brick wall lens test (rate the results)

vuk_vuksanovic

Can't tell anything unless its a print, or a standardized lens test graph. Honestly, my lcd screen on my laptop isn't the best medium to be basing my opinions of a lens from the image on it. I'll guess that it is a leica lens though, just a guess.

Vuk, the OOF image is fine in the second and third rows, but the double lining effect in the fourth row is not what the best lenses would do.

Having said that, if this was shot wide open, I'm sure the OOF image improves when stopped down some. Even the "king of Bokeh" the pre-ASPH 35 cron. can look like this wide open.

to me, that autocord shot displays a bit of the sort of jarring/inorganic bokeh that i find unsettling. it's odd because i own an autocord myself and haven't quite noticed such an effect (mind you, it is used almost exclusively on tripod and tiny apertures). also, to my eye, the test picture i posted is creamy and flowing in the out-of-focus areas. that said, i can appreciate how the overall style is possibly not to one's taste. hey, some people out there even get on with nikkors just fine ;-)

vuk.

p.s. jon: there is such a thing as auto-nofication (i happened to be on-line) and i don't really see what i've said to you or your friend to warrant a personal attack.

As to the custom of posting 'manufacturer' info with lens test shots, I think that's an

unwise custom, even if indeed it's nearly de rigeur. I strongly favor the single-blind

approach as here, where folks must judge the image at hand with little or no ancillary

knowledge (read: prejudicial bias). Personally, I don't see much wrong with the bokeh

-- the specular ellipses are fairly round and even (not eccentric or donut-y), if not

perfectly gaussian...anyway, the image is pleasing, if a little soft-looking even in the

focal plane.

david.

<br><br>

shot at f/2, handheld at 1/90sec.

<br><br>

nathaniel.

<br><br>

i normally sharpen my scans/captures a touch more in PS after resizing, but somehow felt not as much was required with this lens. maybe you are correct, but i can assure you that sharpness is not an issue with the glass.

<br><br>

cheers,<br>

vuk

"to me, that autocord shot displays a bit of the sort of jarring/inorganic bokeh that i find unsettling. it's odd because i own an autocord myself and haven't quite noticed such an effect"</i><p>

This suggestes to me that the "bokeh" phenomenon is as much a function of the lighting situation and the nature of the background as it is of the lens itself.<p>

I do know what you mean about the bokeh of the Autocord image, but re. bokeh in general, I don't think I have ever seen a photograph that failed due to bad bokeh that wouldn't have failed due to other factors (such as composition etc.)> I have however seen a quite a few images taken on lenses famed for good bokeh that could be improved compositionally.

The highlights look quite blotchy to me, probably due to a digital camera or scanning or quite possibly my monitor. I like the second shot on your second example too. I am confused as to the lines in the first example, should they be parallel and straight?

cougar.

don't you have homework to do or something?

rj.

please consider that this is a flimsy little sample/display stand and i'm quite sure it doesn't take a lot of hand traffic to bend the "bars" you expect to be parallel. unfortunately, close examination was not possible, given how a dior bitch made a big fuss about me taking picture(s)--in fact, i only got that one. i have written the company to explain my outrage. as for highlights, i don't seem to have a problem on my apple monitor (being used on a proper, non-apple, computer mind you).

vuk.

The only thing I feel I can comment on is bokeh. I guess it's a matter of taste, but I don't like it, with the accentuated outer rim. To me this looks like a lens that will give a high accutance look (typically Leica?) and seems less suited to take flattering protraits of senior citizens.

RE eggs: to me it looks like the two egg pictures reveal a different depth of field. The front centre egg is unsharp in the first and fairly sharp in the second. It also looks like the out of focus area in 1 is getting unsharp much faster than in 2.

As for the colour picture, I too find everything fine except for the slightly edgy bokeh of the back line of bottles, though I would like to see how other comparable lenses render it. I think in these sorts of tests only comparrisons, if carried out acurately, make much sense.